Which one is a better book (Oxford or Cambridge)?

Brenda Wijaya

Guys, I'm planning to buy a new Math SL textbook. Which one do you recommend? Have any of you use them?

2012 Cambridge's

Mathematics Standard Level for the IB Diploma

Paul Fannon, Vesna Kadelburg, Ben Woolley and Stephen Ward

- See more at: http://education.cambridge.org/as/subject/mathematics/mathematics-for-the-ib-diploma/mathematics-standard-level-for-the-ib-diploma#sthash.3ZYzDJBN.dpuf

or

2012 Oxford's

IB Mathematics Standard Level
For the IB diploma
Paul La Rondie, Ed Kemp, Laurie Buchanan, Jim Fensom, and Jill Stevens
Please help me decide!
Thank You in advance.
:)

Out of the two, I would go for the Oxford, but I personally think the Math SL book by Fabio Cirrito is much better than both the aforementioned.

Have a look at the Fabio Cirrito. Here's a direct link to a pdf of the book - http://stro.ycdsb.ca/Departments/mathematics/documents/IB%20FILES/Mathematics%20SL%203rd%20Ed%202nd%20Imprint.pdf

Hope this helped!! :)

• Like 1

Thank you for your suggestion. Actually I have that book but the 2nd imprint one. I am looking for a book that is more friendly to me because I'm pretty slow and weak at maths. Thus I neee a book that is more comprehensive ij a sense like teaching some steps of working out. Do you think I shall go for oxford instead?

Thank you. :)

Then I would suggest the Oxford. It is better than the Cambridge one.

Another suggestion....if you do find yourself slower and weaker than the rest, I think what you can try for practice are the revision sets in the Fabio Cirrito book.The difficulty level increases progressively and there are loads of questions to try. I do not know about the other books, but I am sure that this one also has a separate solutions manual with solutions to EVERY sum. If you find yourself not being able to cope with it, that book is perfect. It will help you when you are stuck eternally on that one crazy sum, or when you are just missing out on one trick to solve the entire question. As you are already in possession of that book, I suggest you buy the solutions manual also.....BIG help! :P

• Like 1

Oxford- Although I don't do SL Maths, I use both for HL maths, and I find that Oxford is much better. The questions are relatively harder and there are past paper questions mixed in there as well. But, the IBID book is the clear winner in any case.

But, I should add that Cambridge has better notes!

Edited by cricketcrazynerd
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...