Am I only one point away from a 7? Please help.

Hello kind IB survival folks,

Okay so here are my math hl marks with the corresponding boundaries

Math IA- 35-40 is a 7. I got 36 so 7.

Math Paper 1- 88-120 is a 7. I got 87 so a very high 6.

Math Paper 2- 85-120 is a 7 and I got a 73 so I got a 6.

Math Paper 3- 53-60 is a 7 and I got a 54 so a 7.

Now I'm wondering whether to remark or not. My thinking is that if Paper 1 increases by one point I would get a 7 in 3/4 components thus giving me an overall 7. Does it work that way? I'm not sure about the weighings of this.

Can you folks help? Does an increase of one point make my grade a 7?

I don't know the weightings off the top of my head, but if you look up the syllabus (Go to Files --> General IB Downloads --> IB Syllabi and find Maths HL) then within that there should be a section where they have all of the % weightings for each paper and how much it was worth of your overall total. Generally Paper 1 and 2 together for any given subject are worth more than Paper 3 and the IA - anyway, that's where you can find that information. Sorry I don't know it off the top of my head but it should be relatively easy to find within that document.

The only other thing I'd say is that unlike essay subjects where it's a bit easier to miss stuff, science subjects and maths are not necessarily likely to go up on re-mark because you basically are relying on somebody having made a human error in looking through your paper and having failed to compare it correctly to the mark scheme. I mean you're at a high six no matter what so I doubt you'd have to worry about it going down (so maybe it is worth a try!) but just that it's one of those things where the grade is a bit less likely to change. See how far off you are, anyway.

Ah, the joys of Maths HL when we struggle to use our highly advanced mathematical skills in real-life practical applications.

Okay, so to figure out the total grade boundary you simply need to multiply the percentage required for the 7 in that component by the weighting of that component (which I'm presuming you know how to do already, but anyway)...

= 0.2(35/40)+0.3(88/120)+0.3(85/120)+0.2(53/60)=78.416666666%=78.4%

So there you go - you need 78.4% in total for a 7.

If you calculate your current score, you are at exactly 76% I think. Even if you do get one extra mark in either Paper 1, then you still only get up to 76.25% - which is still over 2% off a 7. So it seems like there's not much point of getting remarked - you need to go up a lot, and as mentioned above, it is unlikely for maths.

You can still try a remark, but I don't think it'll help. :( Out of interest, which option were you? 78.4% seems pretty high, and the Paper 3 boundary seems ridiculously high (nearly 90%)! These high grade boundaries are starting to worry me... Hopefully they won't creep up above 80%, because that means there is less room for careless errors/brain freezes.

• Like 3

Hey guys,

I'm in a very similar position in maths HL TZ2. I did the discrete option and got 75% overall. I highly doubt the grade boundary for paper 3 that you posted above is a 7 since that is ridiculously high, usually it is around 42-46 (in discrete) and I got 45 which was a 6 not a 7. The highest it has ever been in discrete is 77% which was last year and previously it was around 74% so I doubt it is higher than 77%...

Did anyone do discrete and get above 75%? I'd be interested to see if we can figure out the grade boundary!

Ah, the joys of Maths HL when we struggle to use our highly advanced mathematical skills in real-life practical applications.

Okay, so to figure out the total grade boundary you simply need to multiply the percentage required for the 7 in that component by the weighting of that component (which I'm presuming you know how to do already, but anyway)...

= 0.2(35/40)+0.3(88/120)+0.3(85/120)+0.2(53/60)=78.416666666%=78.4%

So there you go - you need 78.4% in total for a 7.

If you calculate your current score, you are at exactly 76% I think. Even if you do get one extra mark in either Paper 1, then you still only get up to 76.25% - which is still over 2% off a 7. So it seems like there's not much point of getting remarked - you need to go up a lot, and as mentioned above, it is unlikely for maths.

You can still try a remark, but I don't think it'll help. :( Out of interest, which option were you? 78.4% seems pretty high, and the Paper 3 boundary seems ridiculously high (nearly 90%)! These high grade boundaries are starting to worry me... Hopefully they won't creep up above 80%, because that means there is less room for careless errors/brain freezes.

Hey thanks for that. And your first sentence is the truest thing I've ever read. The words should forever go down in an IB bible if it existed. I still think I'm going to challenge. Maybe I might get a few marks here and there. It's unlikely that I would drop a grade so hey no harm done. And yeah the paper 3 boundary is high but then the paper (series and differential equations) was a very easy one.

Hey guys,

I'm in a very similar position in maths HL TZ2. I did the discrete option and got 75% overall. I highly doubt the grade boundary for paper 3 that you posted above is a 7 since that is ridiculously high, usually it is around 42-46 (in discrete) and I got 45 which was a 6 not a 7. The highest it has ever been in discrete is 77% which was last year and previously it was around 74% so I doubt it is higher than 77%...

Did anyone do discrete and get above 75%? I'd be interested to see if we can figure out the grade boundary!

And no the grade boundary for paper 3 for series and differential equations is that high this year because the paper was easy. Good luck!

• Like 1

Hey,

One more question. If I choose to remark my results would they just add the existing numbers together and see whether there are any arithmetic mistakes. Or would they remark the actual paper from the beginning as if its the first time (so they would give method marks etc). There's no point if they just add the marks for each paper again.