I have no idea what is going on .___.

Lucy Lin

Hey guys, so this is my very first post :) I need some help since I will attend pre-IB class in the upcoming school year, which is my grade 10. :)

I didn't have pre-IB in grade 9 because my school is new to this :?

I will have these courses :

- English HL

- French ( I have to take 2 French courses due to the miss out of pre-IB in grade 9)

- Science HL

- History route 2

- Design studies ( Art)

- Math HL

and an extra course of Vietnamese .___.

My average for grade 9 is A-

I am so lost right now, like I have no idea what is going on and what is going to happen next year .

Can I have some advice :< Is A- a fine start grade ?

um, it doesn't really matter if you have done Pre-IB in year 9 or not, because the actual course really only starts in year 11

your grade now is probably not going to be a good reflection of what you will get/experience in the actual IB

My final grade in my pre-ib year was A dominant, with one A-, but then, I had subjects outside the pre-ib courses cos there was only 6 pre-ib courses, I've done one in the previous semester. But now, it's basically 6s, with a 4 in English, and with a few 7s as well.

However, what makes me say that pre-IB isn't going to be a good reflection of what you will get is because the majority of my year experienced a massive grade shift, my GPA (13.33) was considered to be high, where as in pre-IB it is one of the lower one. Many people I knew who got A+ in maths last year didn't maintain their 7s or even 4s in maths HL and our English teacher is basically just massacring our grades. etc.etc.

but you shouldn't be concerned with predictions and whatever nightmare you're going to have; I hereby quote my history teacher, "just do it". It won't be easy, but it won't be hell either; you shouldn't rely too much on your grade prediction in pre-IB, but rather develop the skills you have attained in pre-ib, and personally, I think that is more important than your grade in the first year of IB.

Remember, you have 1 1/2 years to get through IB, so it doesn't matter how much mistakes you have made, but make as many stupid mistakes as you can and LEARN FROM THEM

Thank you for the answer :)

I was really worry since the IB coordinator in my school said it will be really stressful and all those thing, and I really want to keep my grade going up in order to get in the university I want :?

By the way, when you calculate your GPA, what subject will be included ?

Does it also count P.E, music, etc ?

I'm kinda confuse .___.

@LucyLin

nah you'll do fine; anyone who is usually motivated enough to learn and go through IB usually does fine (well, maybe not 45 good but you know, good enough to get into a decent uni, e.g. University of Adelaide, Monash etc.)

I'm not sure how your school does it, but our GPA includes every subject and it's basically an average of all the subjects,

elaboration

our school uses the stupid Harvard system which states that A+ is 15, A is 14, A- is 13 etc.etc. and basically if you get 4A and 1B and 1A- (example), you GPA is (4x14+1x11+1x13)/4; but since we moved to IB i'm not sure how they did it, because in IB we don't do A+, B, C-, etc.etc. and my hypothesis is that they judge, using the SACE grade scale (95%+ is an A+, 90%+ is an A etc.), and essentially converts our IB scores into SACE one,

and if you're confused about SACE, it's basically like honors in America, an alternative to IB. I wouldn't say it's like AP because AP is sort of on par with IB, and both gets you college credits. but SACE doesn't get college credits, or is it on par with either AP or IB, in a sense (IB average in my school is 36, equivalent to 95 in SACE, while the SACE average is 85, and they don't do CAS, EE or TOK; they take 4 and 1/2 subject while we take 6 or 7)