Sign in to follow this  

Lab Report chemistry IA LAB REPORT

Hi,

I am doing my chemistry IA lab report on Titration. I am confused what would be the reasonable word length for a lab report. My school coordinated has not mentioned anything about. Is they world limit for it?

thanks

meena

There's no word limit for an IA. That being said, please don't turn in like a 20 page lab report :P You should be able to cover fully every point for what you're being marked on in a couple of pages, plus a graph or two.

A graph is absolutely important, particularly if you're doing this for the Data Collection and Processing component! It's worth a whole 2 marks in the "Presenting Processed Data" criteria!

If this is just for the Design component or Conclusion/Evaluation part, then I don't think it's necessary. :)

If you haven't already, and you want to do well at this course, you absolutely must read the Chemistry syllabus, with the criteria for the IAs.

Edited by bluedino
  • Like 1

Hello, I don't understand. Unless you're titrating several different chemicals, why would you need a graph for a titration lab? There'll only be one data point with no relationships in the data collected. Even if several chemicals are used, they would be still be discreet.

Hello, I don't understand. Unless you're titrating several different chemicals, why would you need a graph for a titration lab? There'll only be one data point with no relationships in the data collected. Even if several chemicals are used, they would be still be discreet.

Typically with titrations you'll want to measure the pH at several different points along the way, such as your starting pH, the final pH, and some in the middle. From there you can construct a titration curve for your reaction which you can use to estimate the equivalence point and pKa. You shouldn't have just one data point, and there is definitely a relationship between points in the titration curve (for example, the pH at half of the equivalence point is the pKa value).