Entrance Examination?

RyanisYu

In a few months, our school is to host testing for IBDP, which I will be attempting to get into. What I'd like to know is what I need to do to prepare and exactly how hard the test is to be. Also, I'd like to know if you need a 95% average on the previous year to get in, as I've been told by several people. If not, then is there an average you need to achieve to get in? I'd really appreciate any tips at all.

I think that depends on a few factors: are you currently doing the MYP? Which school are you specifically trying to get to as admission requirements may vary?

I'm skeptical about the 95% average because I know for a fact that it is not required by the IB and that many average students have also made it to the IBDP having an average of around 75 - 80% so I wouldn't worry about that much if I were you. Instead, I would focus on doing well all-round.

Regarding the entrance test all I can say is that you will be tested on Math and English - for sure. You might also be required to show speaking skills in French. It is important to do well on the entrance test. You may also be asked to write about why you want to do the Diploma and how you think it will help you. Also, you might have to write about some ethical issue scenario.

It would be a good idea to ask your school counselor.

For math Just revise everything you have learned since you started high school( if you ask me it's not much and mostly focus on trigonometry and algebra). I also got tested on chemistry topics , Macedonian(essay), English(essay + interview) and had an interview with my visual arts teacher. You can ask the coordinator about the topics you will be tested on and she/he will probably tell you or tell you who to ask about this info. You can also ask the coordinator about info like how many students apply every year and how much are accepted. I think you shouldn't worry much unless it's really hard to get into then just use some of your free time to revise. These tests don't tell much IMO. What you accomplish during the DP is what matters. My school rarely gets over 13 candidates and they accept everyone who applies so I didn't even study for these exams. Also if you have a mandatory subject like me(all of them I couldn't even choose one :'( ) take the time to review it because they will definitely test you on that

No, I am not doing MYP, The school is Bayview Secondary School, and to correct myself in a way, this is to get into Pre-IB (testing in grade 8), which then leads to IB. My school also fails to include a School Counselor (to my knowledge). My French, English Writing and Math always consistently get 95's and higher, although my English Oral (and perhaps English Reading) is lacking (about 80% last term). I am fairly positive that there will be testing in French, Math and English. So, to improve onto my previous questions, Could someone give an overview of what I need to study for (revision is impossible since I leave my notes in a mound after I am done the year, and most of that usually gets thrown out, and I usually fail to remember what I specifically studied the year before) and possibly tell me what the entrance test was like for them?

You'd be best off asking somebody from your school who is already in the position where they've done the entrance exam. Whatever this exam is, it's something your school has invented and not something everybody else in the world has to sit, so it's hard to suggest exactly what will be in it. It's very much a USA/Canada idea to have a Pre-IB year so most people don't even do that, let alone an exam to see if you get to in to do it. It's very likely they'll base it off whatever you studied last year because I don't see how they could expect you to know much else. Any subjects which are core subjects that all the people in your yeargroup do are things I'd look back over, because they're really the only subjects which are fair game to test everybody on.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

If you're getting 95%'s for maths, english (written) than you really shouldn't worry. However I would recommend you to go through your maths stuff and to read more books to 'aid' your reading comprehension skills. Don't stress out too much and hope I helped! :)

Hey there, I am currently attending Bayview and I hope I can answer your questions.

Anyway, when I took the test a couple years ago, it was not too hard. I personally prepared for the SSAT and the entrance exam was quite similar. The french exam was ridiculously hard for me though; there are many people who come from immersion, but don't be intimidated. Just use common sense and try to guess your way through.

If I remember correctly, all sections are multiple choice.

Otherwise, you should prepare all the pieces of your application: Recommendation letter, Some additional supplementary form and your recent report cards.

For entrance, I had a mid~high 80 average and got in. Otherwise, don't worry too much about report card averages because as you can see, my average wasn't too high either. The only things I had for ECs were soccer and top place finishes at Gauss contest. Of course, more people in your year will be vying for a spot in (For my year, ~1000 people tried out for 120 spots) and I heard that around 1200 people tried last year. Not to frighten you or anything, but don't be too distressed. There is a chance that you'll be rejected and some moron gets in. C'est la vie. But given your academic credentials, I would brush up on French because that's usually the make or break factor for most students. Otherwise, your 90s in English and Math are impressive and will probably land you a spot in Bayview.

And Good Luck! I'm graduating next year, but I can assure that Bayview is one of the best schools in Ontario and you won't regret being in the IB program!

Edited by by.andrew

• 2 weeks later...

At my school it was
50% interview,
and 25 % math and
25% English test

Also, the grades played a part, but not as important as the interview itself. At the interview they asked about books, ambitions, expectations, hobbies, our past shools, and about our background. It was scary but I nailed it even though I didn't have any grades from 9th grade. (I was home schooled). It's different at different school, but here in Sweden grade- inflation is very common, and they want to make sure that you don't just got good grades.

Edited by Ms.Blackford