I'm getting a little psyched!

Hey everyone. I'm extremely unfamiliar with the IB curriculum, so I'm hoping someone can change that before i start college in a few days.

I know the basics, HL, SL, CAS, EE, etc.

I've read a lot of posts stating that the IB is going to screw up your social life and all. I hope this is not entirely true?

Is it as difficult and strenuous as I've heard?

I'm planning to take Math, Chemistry and Biology at Higher Level. And English, French and probably I.T at Standard.

And if anyone knows where i can get a copy of the 2013-2015 syllabus for all subjects, I'd be deeply grateful.

Thanks very much!

I had posted this when someone else had also asked a similar question and I think it will do you good too.

1. Do what you're told to do. When you're told to do. I know the IB Survival motto is 'Helpful Procrastination', but trust me, it's never really helpful ;)

2. Choose your subjects carefully.

3. Never underestimate yourself. This is an integral part of the ground rules. Don't ignore this one.

IB is just another system of education. Don't put it on a pedestal and think it to be something ethereal. If you just treat it as something you have to do everyday, responsibly, you'll get the better of it :yep:

About the social life bit. Like I said, Do what you're told to do efficiently. You need efficiency with the IB. Social life doesnt just die out if you handle it well, but you may find the number of all-nighters you pull increase by a little bit! Internal Assessment and CAS may be a bit of a hitch, so you need to get on with them as soon as you gain enough knowledge and footing to....

Your subjects. Tread carefully. You have a HARD combo. You not only have Math HL with a science, but with two sciences. Get ready to dedicate some serious gray matter to it. If you delve into things that interest you, you WILL have a blast, so choose carefully and wisely. Consider switching French for Hindi B SL. You may find French way more interesting, but just consider if you will be able to handle your HLs along with a new language. Hindi is DAMN easy. You do not have to study. At All.

Also, the fact that you have two sciences means double the Lab Reports. Lab Reports are a lot of work and you need to get on with them as soon as you begin IB because of the time requirement you need to meet.

The good part (actually GREAT part) is that if you can actually handle your combo, colleges will love you. Seriously. You will get huge advantages and your subjects will alone ensure a second glance at your application everytime.

Never underestimate yourself. It is just another thing you have to do! Go forth and kill the IB (Y)

• Like 3

I heard from my teacher(assuming you're talking about Math HL 1) that they were taking a unit out of the HL 1 curriculum next year at my school at least. I think it was matrices(it would go between Trig and Complex Numbers) But otherwise it'll be:

1. Algebra "Review"

2. Functions

3. Trig

4. Complex Numbers

5. Vectors

6. Probability

7. Differential Calc.

Well, thats the HL 1 syllabus for my school at least.

I had posted this when someone else had also asked a similar question and I think it will do you good too.

1. Do what you're told to do. When you're told to do. I know the IB Survival motto is 'Helpful Procrastination', but trust me, it's never really helpful ;)
2. Choose your subjects carefully.
3. Never underestimate yourself. This is an integral part of the ground rules. Don't ignore this one.

IB is just another system of education. Don't put it on a pedestal and think it to be something ethereal. If you just treat it as something you have to do everyday, responsibly, you'll get the better of it :yep:

About the social life bit. Like I said, Do what you're told to do efficiently. You need efficiency with the IB. Social life doesnt just die out if you handle it well, but you may find the number of all-nighters you pull increase by a little bit! Internal Assessment and CAS may be a bit of a hitch, so you need to get on with them as soon as you gain enough knowledge and footing to....

Your subjects. Tread carefully. You have a HARD combo. You not only have Math HL with a science, but with two sciences. Get ready to dedicate some serious gray matter to it. If you delve into things that interest you, you WILL have a blast, so choose carefully and wisely. Consider switching French for Hindi B SL. You may find French way more interesting, but just consider if you will be able to handle your HLs along with a new language. Hindi is DAMN easy. You do not have to study. At All.

Also, the fact that you have two sciences means double the Lab Reports. Lab Reports are a lot of work and you need to get on with them as soon as you begin IB because of the time requirement you need to meet.

The good part (actually GREAT part) is that if you can actually handle your combo, colleges will love you. Seriously. You will get huge advantages and your subjects will alone ensure a second glance at your application everytime.

Never underestimate yourself. It is just another thing you have to do! Go forth and kill the IB

Damn, that was inspirational! XD
Thanks a lot.
Also, why do you say that my subject choice is diffcult?
Would you advise me to pick an alternative?

Wow I'm taking almost the same subjects as you are! (Although I don't know which French level you are taking... A2, B, or AB?)
I believe you can find the most recent subject syllabi in the files and notes section :)
General IB downloads→IB syllabus & data booklets

Really? What subjects have you picked?
And what do you mean by A2, B, AB?

I heard from my teacher(assuming you're talking about Math HL 1) that they were taking a unit out of the HL 1 curriculum next year at my school at least. I think it was matrices(it would go between Trig and Complex Numbers) But otherwise it'll be:
1. Algebra "Review"
2. Functions
3. Trig
4. Complex Numbers
5. Vectors
6. Probability
7. Differential Calc.

What do you mean by math HL 1? Edited by Gaby
Please do not post a few times in a row, edit your posts

Wow I'm taking almost the same subjects as you are! (Although I don't know which French level you are taking... A2, B, or AB?)

I believe you can find the most recent subject syllabi in the files and notes section :)

General IB downloads→IB syllabus & data booklets

Really? What subjects have you picked?

And what do you mean by A2, B, AB?

See my sig for my subject combination.

A2→language & literature, it's a group 1 choice which is easier than the A1(literature)

B→group 2 language that you have some knowledge of it but still learning it (for example when you have 5 years of experience in a language, you take B)

AB→ab initio, which means you learn the language from the beginning. (group 2)

Well, I've done french from grade 1-5.

Barely remember anything, but I'm sure it'll all come back to me if i get down to read the textbook. So I'm definitely not doing AB.

So what do you recommend i pick?

Since you have enough experience in this language (5 years) that doing AB might be a complete waste of time (probably just reviewing what you have done in primary school), do B. Because A2 (language & literature) is a group 1 subject and it requires more experience in the language. So B seems to be the only suitable choice.

According to your subject choices for HL, it seems that you want to study sciences in university, so French is not THAT important, so I'd say SL.

So: B HL if you really like French/want to learn more/think SL is too easy.

SL if you don't like it that much/don't want to spend too much time on it.

I don't think there's really much to prepare beforehand (other than picking the subjects), but you may want to start thinking about CAS. It's not too bad once you get your activities sorted, but it can be an annoyance until then.

Other than that, I would just relax and enjoy your holiday. I'm sure your teachers will give you an introduction and all, including handing out resources like the syllabus. As said the IB isn't as bad as some say it is - especially at the beginning.

Edited by ctrls

The reason I suggested you to have another look at your combo was not to detract you from it. It was just to make sure if you have what is right for you or not...

Looking at your Chem Bio HL combo, I assume you want to do something like Biochmistry or become a Doc, and as an Indian, you must have noticed the number of Med students who completely drop maths in an attempt to streamline their studies into what they require and nothing more. While I do not advise you to go to that extreme, I think you should consider the position of Math HL in your combo. It may be a bitch at times, so just see if you actually need it according to your career goals. You should think about lowering one of your HLs into SL of you do not need it, otherwise you will be making it tough for yourself.

And if you do not want to go with that, I seriously think you should switch French with Hindi B SL no matter how interesting you may find French. IB is about finding yourself, not killing yourself. What I basically want to say is that with your present combo, your workload is going to quadruple compared to anything you have faced in the past. You can ease it for yourself. Just analyse and see what you need.....VERY carefully!

1. Algebra "Review"

2. Functions

3. Trig

4. Complex Numbers

5. Vectors

6. Probability

7. Differential Calc.

What do you mean by math HL 1?

Well you said you plan of taking Math at the HL level and most HL classes are spread over two years. That means two years of HL math. The first year you take HL Math(or any other HL class for that matter) would be "-IB class-"HL 1 since its your first year.

Edited by MaximumX