Extended Essay Help-Topic World War I

Sammy

Hello Everyone,

I'm having trouble with my EE

My RQ is

"How deceive was the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand in June 1914 on the origins of the First World War"

Do you think it is too broad and/or needs altering?

If required this is my basic structure:
-Impact on the alliance system (How the assasination impacted the web of alliances in Europe)
-Impact on Germany's war plans (Basically talking about the role of Germany after the assassination)
-Other events [Prior to the assassination-(Morrocan Crises, Balkan Wars)]
-The Assassination as a trigger of World War I (Histiographical interpretations about the Assassination and the role in World War I)

Thanks a lot :)

although the question is good, i think its a bit too simple. This question is actually answered by most history textbooks, as they also look at alliances, war plans, militarism, nationalism, imperialism, and other events. I'd actually recommend changing the RQ if its still possible to another topic in WWI that isn't so obvious.

If you can't however, then I'd recommend researching in-depth to provide more information on your RQ.

although the question is good, i think its a bit too simple. This question is actually answered by most history textbooks, as they also look at alliances, war plans, militarism, nationalism, imperialism, and other events. I'd actually recommend changing the RQ if its still possible to another topic in WWI that isn't so obvious.

If you can't however, then I'd recommend researching in-depth to provide more information on your RQ.

What do you mean by "in-depth" ?

What do you mean by "in-depth" ?

I think they mean by going beyond the obvious, like what you would learn in class or be expected to know on the exam. Read EVERYTHING about the assassination and its effects on sparking the war, and come up with a very detailed answer about that question, if you decide to keep it.

• Like 1

I think they mean by going beyond the obvious, like what you would learn in class or be expected to know on the exam. Read EVERYTHING about the assassination and its effects on sparking the war, and come up with a very detailed answer about that question, if you decide to keep it.

yes, exactly, go beyond the obvious. The obvious would be what you do learn in textbooks and what your teacher teaches you...things like that

• 2 weeks later...

You may find it slightly too broad, and you may also find that (as people are saying) it's a little too simple. It's one of the first things you learn about WWI way back in primary school. If you really are enthusiastic about the topic and love it, then ignore me, and stick with it. But if it doesn't fill you with a sense of "OMG I LOVE THIS I HAVE TO FIND OUT MORE" at least to some extent, have a look again. Find something in history that is original and really catches your eye.
But if you love it, stick with it, there's lots of information out there.

• 3 weeks later...

Although your topic is fine, it is a little too predictable. By that i mean that most people know that his assassination was the 'spark' that lit WWI. Also, you should look at the importance of the assassination in comparison to other WWI origins (such as brewing tensions, balkan nationalism etc)