Universities giving big scholarships (considering my grades)?

b1995

Hey

I got a total of 39 and I’m considering taking a gap year. I really want to study in an English-spoken country, but since I’m neither a citizen nor a resident of any of those countries, I’ve to pay high tuition fees, which my family cannot afford at all. Therefore, I’m looking for a place (university) where you can get big scholarships that cover most of tuition fees.

Do you have any suggestions?

More details:

I would like to study in the field of computer science and/or IT (Information Technology). My final grades are as follows:

Self-taught A SL: 7

Danish B SL: 6

English B HL: 6

Economics SL: 6

Physics HL: 7

Math HL: 6

Bonus points: 1 (EE in physics: B, Tok: C)

In total: 39

Edited by b1995
  • Like 1

Look into studying in Scotland, as EU students get free tuition and Scotland have some of the Top Universities in the world. (St. Andrews, Edinburgh and Glasgow and the University of Strathclyde is good at computer science too)

• Like 3

I assume you live in an EU country though, probably Denmark? It might not matter because you're a resident there, so would be classed as EU.

Some UK unis do give scholarships but your best bet is to look into Canada as I believe they give lucrative scholarships for IB students.

Also, how did you take 4 SLs? Surely one must have been at HL or you wouldn't have been awarded a diploma.

• Like 1

Well my residence permit here is temporary. I once filled in the fee assessment of the U of Glasgow, and the answer was that I would be categorized as an "overseas" student.

Do you know any Canadian unis in particular? I applied to some scholarships in UBC and U of Alberta - got nothing from UBC and a very low amount from Alberta.

PS: Oh wait that's a mistake :D My English B was HL. Corrected it (sorry).

Edited by b1995

Ok sure.

Do you know any specific university, or a place (like a searching website) where I can start?

Need blind for all applicants/ Need-blind for internationals

US

Amherst college

Dartmouth college

Harvard University

MIT

Princeton

Yale

Non- US

Jacobs University Bremen (Bremen Germany)

National University of Singapore (Singapore)

New York University Singapore

New York University Abu Dhabi (Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Need-blind_admission

• Like 2

Ok sure.

Do you know any specific university, or a place (like a searching website) where I can start?

US

Amherst college

Dartmouth college

Harvard University

MIT

Princeton

Yale

Non- US

But there is a thing: the US ones are actually very fancy. This may be a stupid question, but do you think I have a chance of getting there with 39? Cuz I kinda feel you need to be at least 40 or 41 to be able to go for them.

Pretty sure McGill gives out big scholarships; but their criteria is high in some aspect

why not look into universities that gives out IB scholarships?

There is a long long list of them on IBO's website. I haven't gone through all of the the universities listed there, but mostly when you look at their websites they say we have an IB scholarship of at most 3-4k whereas the annual tuition fees are around 15k at least - and therefore in my case the scholarship won't help at all.

Anyway thanks both of you guys. :D

Edited by b1995

Hi there!

From what I've seen, the US gives out the most scholarships. A friend of mine got 1900 for his SAT, and got a 50%scholarship to University of Miami. So I'd say, do your SATs and get at least 2200, and you should be able to get some scholarships for the US! (Provided you do have some non-academic background, like an extracurricular or something).

Ok sure.

US

Amherst college

Dartmouth college

Harvard University

MIT

Princeton

Yale

Non- US

But there is a thing: the US ones are actually very fancy. This may be a stupid question, but do you think I have a chance of getting there with 39? Cuz I kinda feel you need to be at least 40 or 41 to be able to go for them.

A 39 is well above the world average IB score. People with this score are accepted into Oxbridge. The "need-blind for all applicants" US institutions do have a very selective approach to picking students, but this is not always expressed solely in grades alone. Other criteria comes into play such as standardised tests (SATs/ ACTs), extracurricular activities, essays, recommendations, stand out factor etc.. Just make sure your application is stellar and you really convey your passion/ preparation for your future course in your application. A lot of the institutions on the list don't even have a formal cutoff grade.

• Like 1

Can students in your position not apply to Student Finance England and take out a student loan to pay for all this up front? That works because you have ages to pay it back, it's wiped if you don't repay it in a few decades or so, and you only pay a small percentage of what you earn. So you wouldn't need to make your parents pay or pay now, just borrow from government (you may even get grants? I'm not sure how it works for non-British residents) and repay when you're working (like everyone :P)

I can tell you though, the university I'm off to (Southampton) is good for CS I've heard and offers a scholarship of £1000 a year to those who exceed the offer and get about 39. I know because I argued with my department for it and won it off of being just for A-Levels :P

• Like 1

Can students in your position not apply to Student Finance England and take out a student loan to pay for all this up front? That works because you have ages to pay it back, it's wiped if you don't repay it in a few decades or so, and you only pay a small percentage of what you earn. So you wouldn't need to make your parents pay or pay now, just borrow from government (you may even get grants? I'm not sure how it works for non-British residents) and repay when you're working (like everyone :P)

I can tell you though, the university I'm off to (Southampton) is good for CS I've heard and offers a scholarship of £1000 a year to those who exceed the offer and get about 39. I know because I argued with my department for it and won it off of being just for A-Levels :P

The thing with the loans is that one of the requirements is to be an "EU citizen". I'm an EU resident (though not permanent), but after the gap year I'll have been in EU for 3.5 years. However I don't think I can take the loan since I don't hold an EU passport. But I'll ask them so check. Otherwise the loans and the repayment procedure are really awesome.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...