Math Exploration Help?: Modeling the population growth of the world

Karan888

Hello fellow IBers,

so for my Math exploration I am modeling the population growth of the world. I've done some bits of it but now I'm completely lost. I'm not sure about what else to do. Any idea's about what I could possibly do and discuss in my exploration? Thank you.

http://14.140.95.113/r/ib-diploma-program/pdfs/teachers%20resource%20material/Math%20HL%20&%20SL/Maths%20HL/xmltwo.ibo.org/publications/DP/Group5/d_5_matsl_tsm_1205_1/html/content/exist/rest/app/tsm.xql_doc%3dd_5_matsl_tsm_1205_1_e%26part%3d2%26chapter%3d9.html

there have a few examples of other maths exploration topics done by students before...if you haven't already found these. There's one about modelling rainfall, which I would imagine uses some of the same basics as population growth.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Alright, since you are talking about Population growth, your IA will be revolving around Exponential Equations and Logarithms.

An idea would be to gather the data (Whether from the internet or from your local official ministry of statistics/ anything similar) and plot the data.

One idea could be finding a function that fits those number you obtained and try to fit a function to it. You can use algebra/Matrices/ or a computer software and compare the R2 and other correlation values to come up with a certain function, which you will use to predict the population in the future.

Hope this helps!

• 8 years later...
On 7/16/2013 at 11:45 AM, Karan888 said:

Hello fellow IBers,

so for my Math exploration I am modeling the population growth of the world. I've done some bits of it but now I'm completely lost. I'm not sure about what else to do. Any idea's about what I could possibly do and discuss in my exploration? Thank you.

Hey, were you ever able to finish this IA topic. if so could you send it to me as im doing a very smilar topic. thank you