Psychology EE Help!

Dhairyya Singh

Hey everyone,
I have just started with IBDP yr 2 a month ago and I am having some trouble deciding my Psych EE topic. At first i was going with the topic: Extent of effect of biological/genetic factors on an individual's placement on the Extroversion-Introversion Continuum, with the RQ superfocused at: "To what extent does the innate arousal of the Pre-frontal cortex effect an individual's placement on the Extroversion-Introversion continuum.?"

BUT, the problem i found after a few hours of research was that the whole effect of biological factors on the personality of a person is not really understood by researchers till today. They can correlate but no REAL cause-effect relationships have been found (i may be wrong, please let me know if there is any scope to pursue this RQ as i am really really interested in it)

So i changed my topic to something far easier: "A comparative study of two models of memory: MSM and LOP"

Now the thing is,

1. This topic seems too easy, i dunno. My Psych teacher was equally supportive on both and truthfully speaking, she just wants me to get good marks. Is it really a good topic or something overused by candidates? I really want to do something unique and this topic seems kinda generic.

2. Is my previous topic better? Should i keep going with it and see where it gets me?

3. Should i look for a totally new topic?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks :)

I think (based on what my supervisor told me, although turns out she was kind of a ****ty one XD) that your RQ has to be in a form of question. Of course you can try to turn your topic about memory into a question, but think about where would your essay go, what answer you can give at the end, because that's what they expect you to do at the end-conclude from your research how to answer the RQ. ;)

Hey,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes i am aware that the RQ should be a question. I am pretty sure that i want to do my EE on a topic in the Cognitive level of analysis since my Biological Level of Analysis idea sorta failed and i'm not relaly interested in the Sociocultural Level of Analysis. Another idea was doing it on a topic from one of the options (such as Abnormal Psychology) but the thing with cognitive level of analysis is that there has been LOADS of literature written on it and it is relatively easier to get material. I have finally decided that my RQ is gonna be: "To what extent is memory reliable?"

Thoughts?

I think that's too simple of a RQ >< That question is actually explained in your textbook, and is actually one of the questions on the exam, worded differently of course but still... Although you would probably include more info than what's given in your textbook, your best bet would be to come up with a different RQ exploring an aspect of memory perhaps.

• Like 1