Sign in to follow this  

Can I not study a group 3 subject

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding choosing subjects. a bunch of my school mates want to not study and subject from group 3 (ITGS, Business, Economy... etc.). instead they want to take two subjects from group 5 (Math and Computer science) and two subjects from group 4 (Physics and maybe chemistry) PLUS two languages (group 1 & 2).

So is it possible to not study any subject from group 3?? Will the IB organization allow that??

thanks a lot for the help

No. You must study one subject from each group. However, if you or your friends are not humanities people, you could always study Environmental Systems and Societies.

I also wasn't so keen on the group 3 subjects (wanted a group 6 instead) but it is obligatory to have one subject from groups 1-5. It's what makes the IB "well rounded" :) I never thought I would enjoy Economics but I've actually found it really interesting and useful – I understand all those money articles and fancy terms that still confuse my non-economics friends ;D

Edited by Kat_K

Guest Positron

In short, yes it is possible generally speaking, but not really in your case. Doing it would require you to obtain a permission for an Irregular Diploma from the IBO, and getting that would in turn require demonstrating a real need for the permission. In this context "a real need" means providing evidence that the university course you plan to enroll in has such entry requirements. For example, some medical schools require you to have studied all three experimental sciences (Bio, Chem & Physics), and it'd be impossible to include all of those in the normal IB diploma.

Unless you can find a university course requiring Math, Comp. Sci, Physics, and Chemistry, the IBO will not give you the permission for an Irregular Diploma. If you really want to take all those subjects, your best bet would be taking one of them as a seventh subject.

Edited by Positron