Retaking my French Exam?

Hi there

I just finished my first year of IB and I took my French B SL exam last May. My school does IB exams kind of weird from what I understand, at the end of our first year we take our second language exam to get it out of the way and everything else at the end of second.

I got a six in the exam, and though I don't think this a bad grade, I didn't really work very hard or study at all and was considering retaking my exam. This isn't really because of my grade (though I do think I could do a lot better, my French is pretty strong), it's because of my horrible pride complex and I just wanna see how high I could get. What do you recommend? What do you think in general of rewriting exams?

Guest B.E.P.

I don't think that would be a problem - however, the point of taking a class early is that you lessen your workload in senior year (and especially during the exam period).

If you don't mind giving up these advantages, and if your school agrees, go for it!

The problem is, if you resit it for a whole year and don't get a 7, you'll feel you wasted the whole time.. you need 87 or 88% or so for a 7, which is a crazy percentage. Plus, a 6 is a great grade and it is possible that the lightened load for revising for your other 5 subjects next year makes a difference - what if you gain a point in French but lose a point in two other subjects because the extra time taken on French was detrimental to the other subjects? Just be free of it! :P I can understand why you want to resit though.

I don't think that would be a problem - however, the point of taking a class early is that you lessen your workload in senior year (and especially during the exam period).

If you don't mind giving up these advantages, and if your school agrees, go for it!

I wouldn't be retaking the class (thank god ._.), I'd be taking the exam in November, I'm just asking, am I wasting my time retaking it?

Guest B.E.P.

I wouldn't be retaking the class (thank god ._.), I'd be taking the exam in November, I'm just asking, am I wasting my time retaking it?

If it won't interfere with anything, then I don't think you're wasting your time.

Did you check your mark breakdowns? I'm not particularly strong at French, but my exams were pretty good. Ended up with a 6 though, our whole school got moderated down on the IAs. If your IAs aren't great, there is not point retaking the exams because you can't redo just your IAs. Otherwise, I would suggest you to redo it if you're really confident, but it costs money and if your mark comes down.... :(