How much time should a Math SL student spend on the Math IA? + one more question

Namnam

Hey guys, I'm just wondering how much time I should allot to my Math Exploration. I am doing my IA on transformations.
Also, what topics are suitable for SL? Is transformation of curves a good topic for an SL student?

Thanks! :)

In the past, you were given 1 week to complete it (assuming your school followed IB guidance), if that helps. Of course that was on the old syllabus where you didn't have to invent your own topic of exploration. To be honest I'd spend as much time as you need - if you're not under too much time pressure then it's about doing the best job you can. At the end of the day, your IA can make the difference between a 5 or a 6, or a 6 and a 7. Mine certainly saved my grade ;)

• 2 weeks later...

To answer your second question, transformation of curves may be very descriptive and there may not be enough room for exploration. An easy way to get an exploratory topic is to think of a real-world problem, such as modelling of traffic flow and stuff like that.