Does anyone find the 'Rainfall' example hard?

Abhilash Singh

Another IA question! It seems I am peculiarly obsessed with the new maths IA format, even though I'm on the 2013 syllabus. My impression is that the Rainfall IA is based heavily on integration techniques and applications that are present within the HL core and options, and far less prevalent in the SL course for calculus. So if you're SL, you probably aren't expected to approach that level of complexity - though with a 6, you might have to. The use of integration and partial fractions is quite complex in that IA, but even then apparently it wasn't 'precise' enough for a 6 in HL because it was quite messy and mislabelled at places. So the Rainfall sample is an example of a 6 in SL for Criterion E, so it does give you a good idea of what's necessary, but I don't think you necessarily have to approach that complexity or at least it is not certain. Let's hope that I'm not completely wrong in what I'm going on about.

• Like 1