Maths SL Exploration

shwareb

Hi guys so I thought I'd start working on my maths exploration. I was given a couple of sample papers to gain inspiration for my own project but I've been thinking now (on and off) for about a week and I haven't been able to get a proper subject to write about.
Ideally I want the exploration to be based on Calculus as it's my strongest section of Maths SL, but definitely not on Probability or Vectors (especially not vectors!!!). I was wondering if you guys could help me out a bit, because it's getting quite frustrating, not being able to find a proper and suitable topic to explore and hopefully solve.

Cheers Guys :)

We can't give you a topic, that's something you're supposed to come up with yourself.

You said that calculus is your strongest point, so start thinking of topics that might let you use that to some extent or to a large extent. Calculus is very broad, and there's lots of things you can do with it. You can use it to optimize something (perhaps finding a problem or application and using calculus to determine what yields the greatest amount or smallest amount), use it to explore things that change rates, use it to model a function, etc. Think about what you'd like to do with calculus and go from there. :)

• Like 1

We can't give you a topic, that's something you're supposed to come up with yourself.

You said that calculus is your strongest point, so start thinking of topics that might let you use that to some extent or to a large extent. Calculus is very broad, and there's lots of things you can do with it. You can use it to optimize something (perhaps finding a problem or application and using calculus to determine what yields the greatest amount or smallest amount), use it to explore things that change rates, use it to model a function, etc. Think about what you'd like to do with calculus and go from there. :)

Of course I understand that you can't provide me with a topic to write about, but I thought you might give me some tips to guide me in the right direction, and indeed you helped me a bit by suggesting some ideas :).

I also thought about looking into old Maths EE, to find inspiration/ideas and then do a similar condensed investigation since it's only an IA.

I think it would be quite interesting to explore things that change rates, but I'm stuck on how you'd make that a proper investigation. Could you perhaps give an example on a rate of change problem suitable for investigation :)

Optimization is a part of Calculus which I certainly do enjoy, and I will definitely look in my math book and on the internet for ideas regarding suitable problems :)

Cheers mate :D