Why did you choose your courses?

No, I'm not asking for help deciding which courses to take. It's just that at my school, you can basically only pick your "elective" - in other words, music SL or HL, psych SL, or business SL or HL for your sixth subject. History and English HL are mandatory, you have to continue whatever language you were doing previously (SL only), math levels are determined by the "track" you're in (don't ask), and science is only chosen in your final year (because chem is sophomore year and bio is junior, so you can choose to take the second year of either in IB2.)

I've grown curious about the many courses on offer, and I'd like to ask why you chose your particular subject combination. Did you regret taking a class? If so, why? Also, was there a class you would have liked to take?

Everyone at my school has to take HL English Lit. A lot of people had to take HL Biology because they needed the credits to graduate.During IB1, HL History was mandatory but now people are switching to SL or dropping it completely. Math classes depended on what level you're on. Lots of students took theater or visual arts because we need at least one year of art to graduate. We're free to choose most of our classes (unless it's a graduation requirement)

Why I chose this particular subject combination?: I want to major in Economics so HL Econ is there. HL English is mandatory. HL Math- I got placed in this class. HL Mandarin- I feel like challenging myself (serves as a backup plan if I suddenly change majors or anything)

I'm not particularly good at history or science so that's why history and physics are SL. (I also suck at bio and chem)

Edited by zexing

I knew I wanted to either do something with CompSci or Engineering at the time, so I went with Maths and Physics HL. Alongside that, I also chose Economics HL since I didn't want to take any other human science (turned out it was pretty interesting) and Chemistry SL, as the sixth subject. English A SL since I need two languages, L&L since that seemed to be more interesting for me. Finally, I chose a German B SL because, well, I had no other alternatives.

For me, it actually turned out pretty well. While I don't like German, I don't really regret it since I didn't have a choice. Subject choices also worked well with requirements of the universities I want to go to, plus I am scoring pretty well.

If I could however, I would have liked to take either Computer Science or Further Maths HL instead of Chemistry , dropping Economics to SL. CS because it interests me and FM since it would be useful for STEP.

English Lit- all the 'smart' kids are doing literature (only 5 of us) and the rest Lang&Lit

French- continuing from last year, mum didn't let me take Ab Indonesian

Maths HL- I love maths...more than 75% of my class has dropped down to SL or even studies...anyone can get in, but surviving it is your problem

Chem- Absolutely love it <3

Biology- Same love it <3

Eco- it's mathy and i didn't want to do ESS (not a serious go green person :P)

No subject but some sort of english is compulsory

Although I haven't started the IB yet, I've already resolved to choose subjects that, hopefully, will get me into a good uni for Computer Science in the UK.

Polish A1 SL - this was an obliged one. I had no choice but sticking to it, because I live in Poland. This will be the hardest subject for me, as I've only moved to Poland a month ago, and even though I have a Polish mother I never learned how to speak properly in Polish. Thankfully I'm a risk-taker who loves new challenges :D
English Literature HL- English has always been a passion of mine, not only as a powerful communication tool but also under the literary aspect (Shakespeare fan right here!). I've also chosen it because I want to boost my english skills before taking CPE (Cambridge proficiency exam of English). Most of my favourite writers are English, too.

Economics SL - too bad my school isn't offering it at HL, otherwise I would've picked it without hesitation! I don't know why I've got this thing for economy, it's always looked so interesting to me. I like history a lot, but Economics seemed to be the best choice for me, considered my future plans.
Physics HL - because Chemistry and Biology are not my cup of tea. To be honest, I wouldn't have ever imagined myself deliberately choosing to study physics at a higher level, but just like Maths HL, this subject is also required to study Engineering in the UK. I've studied Physics before - three, long years of it at high school in Italy (!!!) - but I'm hella scared no matter what.
Mathematics HL - it is compulsory to be admitted to any Engineering course of studies in the UK. And partly because I like maths, too. Another thing is that I used to attend a scientific-oriented high school in Italy, so hopefully I'll start off of a good basis.
French B HL - with Polish being very close to a foreign language to me, I didn't want to engage in more risky subject choices (my school offers German B, Biology and Geography apart from French) which could potentially compromise my schedule AND stress me out at a much higer rate than French would. I chose French because I've studied it for three years in middle school, and I was pretty good at it. French also is a lot like Italian, which is my first language. Last but not least, I'd love to work in french-speaking countries one day.

HL English and HL history: required because my school sucked. I liked history, but hated English every single day.

HL chemistry: was originally planning on doing pharmacy later on and it was my favorite subject, ended up switching over to chemical engineering so this is fine

HL Spanish B: I was good at Spanish and just took it all the way up until when I graduated

SL visual arts: I wanted to draw pictures and psychology is dumb so I didn't want to take that

SL math: was not recommended for HL math so I had to take it. Ended up bossing the exam and my teacher was like "why didn't you take HL math?" -____-

SL English Lit: should have take English LL but school does not offer it so... well

SL French ab initio: no other alternatives (although I only had 5 years of education in Chinese and 3 years in English so both suited B but...)

SL Philosophy: school only offers this and history. Wanted to take history but after seeing how much "stuff" history students have to learn... anyway enjoyed this course although it's hard

HL Chemistry: like it.

HL Physics: like it, but not as much as math or chemistry, I don't "understand" physics so easily as I do for math and chemistry, but it's fine.

HL Math: love it.

HL Further math: doing self study which is kind of hard, wished I have done more research last year so I could start doing this course earlier. But still enjoyed it.

HL English Literature - I love it. I've not always been good at English, but I had a teacher in Year 9 who was amazing, loved English almost as much as she loved teaching so when I moved schools, the passion she instilled made me work hard in English, so I worked at it and got better and got a 7 in the end
HL History - My favourite subject, always has been and always will be. I remember begging my parents to buy me Horrible Histories when I was little and then when I chose my GCSEs, I chose History twice (History & Classical Civilisation). My IB HL teacher was amazing, again someone with a talent for teaching, and he inspired me to do well. I did 3 practice essays a day for a month and got a 7 in the end
HL Geography - I hated Geography throughout GCSE, and with very little work I got an A*. I was originally down to do HL Theatre. I had a teacher who was very harsh though, and again a talented teacher. He gave me 4s and 5s and I wasn't having that so I worked a bit and got a 6 (3% off a 7 :disgust: )
SL French B - Mum made me do it. Could have done Spanish ab initio and had an easier time. I'm not good at French and I was predicted a 4. Worked at it and got a 6.
SL Biology - I LOVE Biology. It was the subject that I wish I was better at naturally. Was devastated when I only got a 6. :(
SL Math Studies - Not clever enough to do SL. Got a 5. Meh :shifty: