EE History Help/Advice

ArcticWolf

Hello, I'm currently at the stage at formulating a good RQ for my topic. I've been thinking about two general areas in history, one familiar (WW1 and WW2) that I can fall back on and a unique one (Islamic History) that might make the essay stand out. The problem is I haven't really been able to stick to a question, I keep panicking on whether its suitable or not as I'm afraid that I'll run into trouble in the middle of writing it.

My Question for my EE

To What Extent was the Battle of Stalingrad the turning point in The Eastern Front?

Is the question too broad? Would it be better for me to try something unique?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Hello, I'm currently at the stage at formulating a good RQ for my topic. I've been thinking about two general areas in history, one familiar (WW1 and WW2) that I can fall back on and a unique one (Islamic History) that might make the essay stand out. The problem is I haven't really been able to stick to a question, I keep panicking on whether its suitable or not as I'm afraid that I'll run into trouble in the middle of writing it.

My Question for my EE

To What Extent was the Battle of Stalingrad the turning point in The Eastern Front?

Thanks!

I'm too lazy to type an answer to this and you seem to already know the answer, anyway.

To streamline the process and tell you what you need to hear, read any/all of the following links:

http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/25118-history-ee-franz-ferdinand/?view=findpost&p=195263

http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/25103-history-ee-wwii/

http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/24887-is-this-a-valid-ee-question-for-history-kissinger-us-foreign-policy/

There are probably loads and loads more, but start with this.

Thank you for your response Arrowhead, in the case of the Islamic History topic area I was thinking of comparing sources in the form of this question.

How and Why have western sources on the Prophet Mohammed changed over time?

Would the time period be too broad? I was thinking that because of the fact that I'll be comparing a good number of sources and give an analysis on why each one portrays him in a particular manner (neutral or biased) the bigger timeline will show more diverse sources.

Thank you for your response Arrowhead, in the case of the Islamic History topic area I was thinking of comparing sources in the form of this question.

How and Why have western sources on the Prophet Mohammed changed over time?

Would the time period be too broad? I was thinking that because of the fact that I'll be comparing a good number of sources and give an analysis on why each one portrays him in a particular manner (neutral or biased) the bigger timeline will show more diverse sources.

Waaaaay too broad! Which western sources? That's a big question! Are you focusing on television media or newspapers or both? Fox News has a very different opinion than say Aljazeera (not Western, but mentioned to make a point). Maybe focus only on one or two media and the change in its news coverage of the Prophet?

Also, what's the endgame? To prove bias?

Furthermore, you need to show change up until only 10 years ago and not after. That's, I think, part of the IB rules. Maybe narrow down on right before/right after 9/11 for maximum effect?

I was talking about western historians, in the past (during his time) the way he and Islam were portrayed in a negative light by Medieval Christians, but as time passed (especially in the 19th and 20th centuries) the works on him and Islam became more neutral and even complimenting him. I would be only using books as a source, maybe a few websites in the background information part but it would be primarily books.

Concerning "Furthermore, you need to show change up until only 10 years ago and not after. That's, I think, part of the IB rules. Maybe narrow down on right before/right after 9/11 for maximum effect?" I think you mean that the IB only considers that occurred at least 10 years to be viable as history (for example 9/11 would be considered history while the Obama Administration would not).

My Question for my EE

Thanks!

I did my IA in Islamic History. It is a NIGHTMARE trying to find primary sources.