Help on my history EE on the fall of Rome

Heather Kurle

I've been working on my EE and could use some advice. My topic right now is "To What extent was the fall of Rome due to internal conflict?" Is this topic too broad? How many sources should I use? On past papers( like my MYP project) I used about 8 books and a few websites. Is that enough? Could anyone recommend some good sources here? I don't want people to do the research for me or anything, but I do want to know if I'm on the right track.

I think its a bit too broad. There could be lots of things that contribute to internal conflict. I dont think you'd be able to fit it all in 4,000 words. As for sources, its required that you have atleast two print sources. But generally there's no limit to the number of sources that can be used.

This is very broad. Instead of focusing on 'internal conflict' which is quite general, try specifying a particular internal conflict.

Also the amount of sources will vary depending on your topic. There is no minimum number of sources nor a requirement for a certain number of printed sources, just as long as you have enough to fully answer your topic. If you can find enough to answer your question fully in 6 sources, that's fine. If it takes you 26 sources, that's fine too. Don't have all just book sources or all just web sources, mix it up, and make sure each is reputable.

To find good sources, go to a wikipedia article about the fall of Rome. DO NOT USE THE WIKIPEDIA ARTICLE AS A SOURCE. Instead, go to the bottom of the page and glance through a few of the sources wikipedia cited in the article. That should give you a start for some good historical links and books to look for. You likely will not have primary sources, and that's OK. Not every topic lends itself to primary sources, especially very old ones. Just make sure you have very good secondary sources (historian textbooks and papers for example).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I changed my topic to "To what extent was the fall of Rome caused by the fact that the empire was too widespread?" (I probably will reword that, but you get the general idea) and I was planning on going into detail about the many different cultures within the Roman Empire, geographical barriers, and how they couldn't defend all boarders at the same time. Is this a better topic? Or is it still too broad?