English HL Written Assignment Examples

Karan888

Mate (taking into consideration that you're talking about the works in translation essay/ world lit essay), you seriously have to learn to use this amazing thing called Google. You go to google.com and in the bar thing you type in 'world lit essay examples' and voila, you have thousands of examples in front of you.

Here's one such link: http://www.a1awesome.com/mrbeetlestone/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Sample-Comparative-Essay1.pdf

Cheers,

Happy Googling!

Simran

The issue is that most exemplars are for the old syllabus, which actually has different requirements for the World Lit (now called Written Assignment) and a different marking scheme. Since it's new with first exams in May 2013, it is really hard to find a load of good examples - and in fact, I saw none from the new syllabus. Since May 2013 is now over there might be a few examples floating around online (or maybe even written by people here on IBS who might be kind enough to share!), but there won't be a lot. As far as I know, IB doesn't have a sample Written Assignment though I did see a reflective statement - I could be wrong, but our teachers didn't show us an example essay.

However, the old examples are still useful for a general feeling of what needs to go on in the Written Assignment.

The issue is that most exemplars are for the old syllabus, which actually has different requirements for the World Lit (now called Written Assignment) and a different marking scheme. Since it's new with first exams in May 2013, it is really hard to find a load of good examples - and in fact, I saw none from the new syllabus. Since May 2013 is now over there might be a few examples floating around online (or maybe even written by people here on IBS who might be kind enough to share!), but there won't be a lot. As far as I know, IB doesn't have a sample Written Assignment though I did see a reflective statement - I could be wrong, but our teachers didn't show us an example essay.

However, the old examples are still useful for a general feeling of what needs to go on in the Written Assignment.

Really? my teacher's like it's essentially the same thing...and that we should still use the old ones as inspiration...strange :S

Guest B.E.P.

Really? my teacher's like it's essentially the same thing...and that we should still use the old ones as inspiration...strange :S

The difference between them is that the old syllabus required candidates to compare and contrast two of the works. In the new syllabus, its just an analytical essay on one of the works only. Also, there seems to be some stress on the 'cultural' aspect of the works.

The old HL WL2 should still be very similar. WL1 was compare and contrast and both HL and SL had to do it. WL2 was HL only and that was where you had to write an identical length essay but on only one of the texts. Dunno why it was that way round tbh because comparing and contrasting is so much more effort! :P Obviously they felt SL people should suffer too. So technically WL2 might make decent examples, if you need some. I know I uploaded mine.

Whether the mark schemes are identical or there's something new in it, you'll have to look them both up and see. I can't imagine it's changed that much for Literature. Whether Language and Literature has the same priorities is a different matter.