Is it too late to start doing HL Psychology? any advices? :/

lvch95

Hello everyone!!

I have taken Psychology as a pre-IB course in 2012 but didn't take it in my Diploma Programme. While doing some university research this summer, I realized that I can actually study psychology as a minor, maybe. Moreover, I am currently taking HL Math, which is a challenging one for me. After all, I'd like to ask you if it's too late to switch from HL Math to HL Psychology? I think I can handle it when I remind myself that I already took it before and passed it with a very good score while enjoying it; but I still cannot make sure when I consider that IB is a 2-year program. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, have a good summer :)

Well HL Psych isn't too rigorous. Just a lot of material to catch up with and learn. But if you take proper notes and are organized it shouldn't be too much of a hassle for you . Since you said you would want to minor in Psych, what's your major going to be? If it's a major that requires maths, then you can't switch from Maths HL to Psych HL.

Guest B.E.P.

I wouldn't recommend cramming HL Psychology in a year, especially considering the fact that you did not take SL Psychology. It's really, really not a good idea, especially that you'll have a lot of material to catch up to, an IA to worry about, and your other SIX classes (because you never mentioned dropping another class, so I'm assuming this will be an extra class to your schedule).

Use the time that you could use to study HL Psychology to focus on HL Math.

Edited by B.E.P.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not late to start Psychology HL. In the first year of IB, I kept getting constant 3s in Economics HL then I switched to Psychology HL in my second diploma year. Since the very beginning, I've been getting straight 6s. I was pretty interested in the subject. And yes, since you are new to Psychology you will have to study the previous work but from there on it's an easy ride. Just pay attention in class and submit assignments on time, you are assured a 5 with just that. Math HL, however, is obviously more beneficial from a university's perspective because it is considered to be one of the hardest IB subjects. But if you're having difficulties with Math HL, then sure, have a go at Psychology! :)

Good Luck!

Edited by helpfulbucket