Hey, I'll be starting with my classes next week. I'm taking maths studies, business and management and psychology. Actually a friend told me that taking business and management without taking economics and maths HL is of no use and is not recognised much by universities. Is that true? Because I'm neither interested in Maths HL, nor in dropping psychology and taking economics instead..

Please let me know if taking this combination would be of any use to me..

p.s. I'm not planning to choose any career that requires maths as the base.

Well, B&M is usually taken by people who take Economics HL.

What I've heard about B&M is that it is one of the hardest subjects/ exams, which isn't even that much appreciated by universities.

But I've never heard people asking for HL math to go with econ. and B&M.

I guess, maybe you should talk to your B&M teacher and decide? There is no harm in switching a few subjects in the first weeks. :)

• Like 1

If you are even minutely considering applying to the US, Eco B&M and Math together is suicide. They hate it simply because the spectrum of learning is streamlined into a definite direction and partially goes against the whole "holistic development" thing that IB encourages. It is a difficult combination and definitely will help later on, but colleges don't buy the deal. It's either B&M and Math or Eco and Math.

If you are not taking a career path with math, I suggest that you switch the B&M with something else. Take something that is germane to your career options in the future. If psychology is the way you want to go, then taking something like English HL alongside won't be too bad.

• Like 1

If you are even minutely considering applying to the US, Eco B&M and Math together is suicide. They hate it simply because the spectrum of learning is streamlined into a definite direction and partially goes against the whole "holistic development" thing that IB encourages. It is a difficult combination and definitely will help later on, but colleges don't buy the deal. It's either B&M and Math or Eco and Math.

If you are not taking a career path with math, I suggest that you switch the B&M with something else. Take something that is germane to your career options in the future. If psychology is the way you want to go, then taking something like English HL alongside won't be too bad.

Yes, I'm taking psychology with english HL. B & M is a subject which I want to study and I think the basic knowledge is somehow applicable in almost all the fields.. My chosen field neither requires economics nor maths.. So I just wanted to know if doing B & M is alright even when I don't have any other subject to support it.. I want to get into media or psychology.. :)

Yes, I'm taking psychology with english HL. B & M is a subject which I want to study and I think the basic knowledge is somehow applicable in almost all the fields.. My chosen field neither requires economics nor maths.. So I just wanted to know if doing B & M is alright even when I don't have any other subject to support it.. I want to get into media or psychology.. :)

If this is the case, then I suggest B&M and psychology - Subjects that I actually take :) Be warned that there is a lot of content in both courses and you need to be prepared to constantly study (although I suppose that's the same in all IB courses)

I'm not too sure how UK and US universities view this combination, but I'm sure if you want to get into the media or psychology fields that there are few prerequisites and that this combination is a good one :)

• Like 1

I don't think HL B&M is useless. More than half my grade is taking B &M and most of them are doing it at HL, so it couldn't possibly be that ridiculous. (5-6 are also doing economics and 1 person is doing HL maths) If you're doing maths studies, stick with that. HL maths will be way too much to hand.

I don't know about UK/US, but most Aussie Universities (if you're planning to study in Aus) only look at your final grade. Subjects like Business don't have an impact on your placement at all.

Simran