Our question for our tok presentation is "To what extent does magic tell us about sense perception, truth and knowledge?"

What would be the knowledge issue and areas of knowledge. Also would our real-life situation be "Magic" like how people go to magic shows and their perception (sight) gets fooled. ?

I think you need to think this through a lot more..... just adding the phrases sense perception and truth and etc. doesn't make it more suitable for ToK. Remember that the ToK presentation is primarily an investigation into how we know things!! and i agree with the other member... your real life situation needs to be an ACTUAL situation..like a case where magic has been used to deceive someone of the truth for example......this is why it is more ideal to find a real life situation before deriving a knowledge issue. good luck

I think you need to think this through a lot more..... just adding the phrases sense perception and truth and etc. doesn't make it more suitable for ToK. Remember that the ToK presentation is primarily an investigation into how we know things!! and i agree with the other member... your real life situation needs to be an ACTUAL situation..like a case where magic has been used to deceive someone of the truth for example......this is why it is more ideal to find a real life situation before deriving a knowledge issue. good luck

ok so i understand that we need to focus on maybe a particular card trick or magic trick, but how will we be able to talk about that for 15-20 minutes? As in say i showed a magic trick, where the card disappeared, and the truth was that he never actually took the card in his hand, but it looked so real that we believed, he actually took the card and made it disappear. How am i supposed to talk about this one trick for 15-20 mins??

It would be great if you helped! :)

Well it could be based on articles in the news. Or a particular magician who does tricks. And well 15-20 mins actually isnt enough time. You need to explain the situation. Introduce the KI, give the claims, counterclaims. Then if you have another KI do the same for that. And then explain the WOKs and AOKs. And then finally the conclusion. So there's a lot to talk about.

I feel your KI needs to more narrow. You can't speak about perception, truth and knowledge in the same KI; too much info for one KI. You should break it down

good luck :)

ok so i understand that we need to focus on maybe a particular card trick or magic trick, but how will we be able to talk about that for 15-20 minutes? As in say i showed a magic trick, where the card disappeared, and the truth was that he never actually took the card in his hand, but it looked so real that we believed, he actually took the card and made it disappear. How am i supposed to talk about this one trick for 15-20 mins??

With ToK presentations, time is honestly nothing to worry about.. you will definitely be able to talk for a long time!! The one thing you need to do is just sit down and really develop your ideas. You need to open this up A LOT MORE... like with ToK, it's not about what is the truth or not...but how do we know it's the truth?? Also, remember to link it to at least one way of knowing and areas of knowledge.

I actually think the first thing to do is reevaluate your knowledge issue... like maybe something along the lines.......to what extent is sense perception used to determine the truth?..... and THEN add your real life situation to the problem and use a (or multiple) magic tricks to show HOW we use sense perception to try to understand what has happened. You can then add more and more points to your presentation (like the ideas you were saying before).

Sorry if this isn't clear, tell me and I can try and explain more if you need.

REMEMBER: develop your ideas- get a notebook and write down everything...it will take time but you NEED to do this...just write loads of questions and other issues that come to mind when you look at your knowledge issue.

Also, remember all the things you've learnt about in ToK, especially ways of knowing and areas of knowledge. and don't forget to KEEP ON REFERRING TO THE CRITERIA;;;; it is so important!! you can find loads of info (including criteria) here: http://mrhoyestokwebsite.com/

please please please tell me if you need more explanation and/or if you want more specific answer because I know I might have led a little of track here..... good luck!!!!!!! :) :) :)

With ToK presentations, time is honestly nothing to worry about.. you will definitely be able to talk for a long time!! The one thing you need to do is just sit down and really develop your ideas. You need to open this up A LOT MORE... like with ToK, it's not about what is the truth or not...but how do we know it's the truth?? Also, remember to link it to at least one way of knowing and areas of knowledge.

I actually think the first thing to do is reevaluate your knowledge issue... like maybe something along the lines.......to what extent is sense perception used to determine the truth?..... and THEN add your real life situation to the problem and use a (or multiple) magic tricks to show HOW we use sense perception to try to understand what has happened. You can then add more and more points to your presentation (like the ideas you were saying before).

REMEMBER: develop your ideas- get a notebook and write down everything...it will take time but you NEED to do this...just write loads of questions and other issues that come to mind when you look at your knowledge issue.

Also, remember all the things you've learnt about in ToK, especially ways of knowing and areas of knowledge. and don't forget to KEEP ON REFERRING TO THE CRITERIA;;;; it is so important!! you can find loads of info (including criteria) here: http://mrhoyestokwebsite.com/

please please please tell me if you need more explanation and/or if you want more specific answer because I know I might have led a little of track here..... good luck!!!!!!! :) :) :)

Thank you for replying :) So i talked to my teacher today and said the question was fine as long as i related it back my my RLS, so i've decided to make a magic trick my RLF and relate everything back to that. How does that sound ?

Thank you for replying :) So i talked to my teacher today and said the question was fine as long as i related it back my my RLS, so i've decided to make a magic trick my RLF and relate everything back to that. How does that sound ?

Yes, that should be fine as long as you stay focused and develop it well!! Good luck and send me a message if you have any more problems!!!!!!