sawoshi

I'm going to be doing IB next year, and these are the subjects I chose:

English A1

Mandarin B

Psychology

Biology

Mathematics SL

Economics

I don't have any favourite subjects or subjects that I'm particularly good at, but do you think these are good subjects in general?

I'm not very good math and science, is biology good for someone who isn't really good at science?

Thanks for your help!

The first thing you need to consider is if your subjects will enable you to do what you want at university. Most requirements (if you are going to places like the UK) are very specific and it can be close to impossible to get in without certain subjects.

As someone who doesn't particularly like sciences/maths, biology is a good choice. I am going it, and I find it to be very engaging. It is perhaps the science that requires the least amount of maths, and is very interesting. I find it curious however that you chose economics, maths, biology and psychology if not liking maths is the case - these are very mathematically heavy (especially in the area of statistics), however if you intend to apply to do economics or psychology at university these are good choices.

Good luck, and do some research into university requirements before you decide for sure!

I take history, and I can tell you it's a really fantastic subject, and universities appreciate it as it requires very good essay writing skills and research skills. Also, personally I love group six subjects. They are two of my favourite subjects in fact, as they offer freedom but are still rooted in academics. Anyway, I digress:

You have basically two options to go down here. If you enjoy mathematical / science related subjects, go for things like economics, mathematics, physics, chemistry, etc. If you do not like these, you have the more 'language' based subjects, such as english, history, geography, languages, arts (drama, music, visual, etc.)

It really depends on which sector you see yourself in in the future, and which sector you enjoy more.

You CAN go half half so you keep your options open (so for example one higher science, one higher essay based subject such as history/english), but this may limit you if you want to apply for lets say, a language based course, and you are missing having higher level essay based subjects because you split between essay subjects and science subjects.

However, it is best to decide now which general track you want to head down - it is incredibly difficult to get into certain universities without the right combination. Have a look at university courses, and talk to your school careers councillor (if you have one). Good luck!

Edited by Alpaca

Thank you, I am now having second thoughts. If I were to do an ab initio (japanese, possibly?), should I replace it with economics or psychology? I realised I really enjoy learning languages haha.. :)

edit: Do you think doing an ab initio language is manageable? I heard it is a very intensive course..

Edited by sawoshi

AB initio is the easiest course of all the IB courses!

The syllabus is very simple, for those who are beginning with a new language!

The assessments also are very easy! And since may 2013 the papers are more easy because you dont have to write a personal response/article/whatever they ask you in paper 1 (now is in paper 2) but this give you more time to think and check your answers in paper 1!

I had a 6 on french ab initio! :D

Edited by Pedro9604

If you enjoy languages, then definitely take another language! Japanese and Spanish are good for Ab Initio courses I hear, although French is definitely the easiest. Some languages start easy, and then get hard.
For me, I'm doing German Ab Initio, and that is definitely a tricky course because German grammar is so horrifying. My friend is doing Japanese Ab, and he finds it manageable and very enjoyable. French is evidently a good one, and people doing Spanish Ab are finding that fine too (my friend from my previous school is taking this and she says it's quite easy for grades).

The problem with Japanese is that you have to learn an entire new alphabet. I would therefore recommend Spanish or French, if they are offered to you, also as you can then use them a lot in the real world after graduation!

But definitely go for the languages if that's what you enjoy!