I needed some help with my research question in English

Sanskritii

I needed some help with my extended essay research question which I'm doing in English. I'm doing it on the Harry Potter series, but I couldn't come up with a proper question for it. I thought of these questions-->

-The impact of the new vocabulary introduced by J.K.Rowling in the Harry Potter Series.

-What is the role and significance of love in Harry Potter series?

^ I got the idea of this one from the extended essay guide, but i thought it'll be too obvious for them to guess from where I got this question.

-How is the idea of death signified in the Harry Potter series of J.K.Rowling?

^ this too was from the guide but i changed it a little.

I wanted to do my question on the new vocabulary in the series, or on the topic of magic and death. But I don't know how to put it in a question. I came up with these ^ but I don't know if they'll be applicable or not. I also wanted to know, if I could compare two works of Rowling? As in, I could take up Hp series and Casual Vacancy and compare the various topics in the essay.

Thanks! :D

I needed some help with my extended essay research question which I'm doing in English. I'm doing it on the Harry Potter series, but I couldn't come up with a proper question for it. I thought of these questions-->

-The impact of the new vocabulary introduced by J.K.Rowling in the Harry Potter Series.

-What is the role and significance of love in Harry Potter series?

^ I got the idea of this one from the extended essay guide, but i thought it'll be too obvious for them to guess from where I got this question.

-How is the idea of death signified in the Harry Potter series of J.K.Rowling?

^ this too was from the guide but i changed it a little.

I wanted to do my question on the new vocabulary in the series, or on the topic of magic and death. But I don't know how to put it in a question. I came up with these ^ but I don't know if they'll be applicable or not. I also wanted to know, if I could compare two works of Rowling? As in, I could take up Hp series and Casual Vacancy and compare the various topics in the essay.

Thanks! :D

Personally, I don't think that any of those are "A" grade EEs, although it depends how you tackle them. Love and death are SUCH broad topics in HP, that you'd be hard pushed to fit into a dissertation, let alone a 4000 word essay. Remember there are 7 books in the series, and if you're addressing such a broad topic over such a broad range of texts you're going to overshoot the word limit. I've seen EEs done on Tolkein's LotR trilogy but they addressed very specific issues (e.g. the Duality of Fire and Water) which can be addressed in 4000 words. You need to narrow your questions. And honestly, don't even think about bring the Casual Vacancy into it, you'd have too much to discuss.

• Like 1

I think these are good solid ideas, but consider refining your question further. You seem to like the idea of vocabulary best, and it is certainly a good topic. But you need to be clearer. What are you referring to? Vocabulary as in spells, and that sort of thing? The most important part of that question is impact on what. The reader? The mood of the novel?

Do you think that the topic is large enough to write a 4000 word essay on? Consider this carefully. Also, going with a novel like Harry Potter means you have to write very well - it is a very popular choice, so you really need something new and original to make something of it. Good luck, and happy writing!

• Like 1