Math SL student wandering into HL realms

well math HL has few more extra topics compared to SL, like mathematical induction and the option that the teacher or the class chooses. It is definitely more in depth compared to SL (I have noticed it while tutoring my friends who are in SL). Also, I heard that the calculus section is way harder as they usually compare it with AP Calculus BC which is similar to Calculus II in college.

I honestly wouldn't recommend that you change to HL unless you are pretty certain that you will manage to study and catch up the stuff that you missed in the first year. Also, in math SL you can survive by just knowing the concepts and practicing the problems in the textbook, but in math HL you have to have a greater foundation of math knowledge because the questions on the papers require you to think a way to approach the question and tackle it rather than just relying on the basic concepts.

Take also into account what are your interests and what are you planning on studying once you get to college. math HL is recommended for the fields that require heavy math like engineering, physics and of course math majors!

But yeah, these are just the things that popped into my head after reading your questions! ^^

Edited by gijung
  • Like 1

Maths SL covers the core mathematics whilst HL is the Core (in depth) + 1 additional maths option module. Both have the same IA. Maths HL questions are trickier, but you can practice to get the hang of the style of how the questions are asked. You should check with the Maths HL teacher to see whether they have already started learning the option module and whether moving up is possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IB_Group_5_subjects

Edited by ChocolateDrop
  • Like 1