Help with RQ (History)

ArcticWolf

After deciding to use Islamic History as my topic for my Extended Essay I've decided to narrow it down to the Crusades, the Third Crusade in particular. I thought of this question for my extended essay:

To what extent can the Third Crusade be considered a victory/success to the Crusaders/Richard the Lionheart?

Is the question specific enough? Any specific advice on approaching the topic or thinking of a new question? Recommend any sources?

Thank You

Edited by ArcticWolf

In terms of concrete historical facts, I can't be of much help because I've never done islamic history in any detail.

For your extended essay, though, your question seems a bit general. What did your advisor say? They're usually helpful with narrowing down your title to something examiners will enjoy reading. From what I see, you're analyzing the effect of the third crusade on the entire effect of the crusades. Now, I don't know how determining that one crusade was on the whole 'campaign', but I'd imagine you could write an entire dissertation on that. Four thousand words will turn out to not be very much, especially when you're writing about a part of History that you enjoy. I spent tons of time removing and rewriting on mine. It's a very delicate balance.

I'd focus your title on more specific consequences on the crusades. Something like: To what extent can the Third Crusade be considered a victory/success to the immediate/religious/long-term/whatever outcome of the Crusades?

That'll narrow your essay down much more so you'll have more words to fill with detail and analysis while keeping you on track and keeping the examiner from being overwhelmed.

The topic is fine, but the RQ seems to general. I didn't learn about the Crusades but I think you need to narrow it down. You need to pick a particular aspect of the Crusades...because otherwise with your current RQ you'll also be researching about all the other Crusades as opposed to a particular aspect.

As for sources, you can talk to your history teacher and find sources...or ask your librarian for sources. :)

Well this is what I was thinking of writing about, the original point of the Third Crusade was to re-capture the Holy Land (and in particular, Jerusalem). King Richard was able to take some territory in the region but could never capture Jerusalem, the crusades ended with the Treaty of Ramla. My goal is to compare the goals of the third crusade with what occurred in the 3 year time period to see if the Crusaders actually achieved their aims (to what extent). I'll also list the muslim side of the conflict, the goal is to see which side was more successful in the end. My definition of success will be whether they achieved their goals or not along with other achievements.