Sign in to follow this  

Biology EE - factors affecting plasmids?

Hi guys, I'm doing a Biology Extended Essay based on plasmid extraction from growing bacterial colonies, and then running the plasmids through gel electrophoresis. I might also do a plasmid digestion. However, I'm still unsure of what my research question shall be based on... I need your help!! I need to find something that I can test on, like maybe investigate and experiment on one of the factors that will affect the plasmid digestion, or its size, or something along the lines of that.. Please help me out with my research question... Once I have a couple of decent research questions, I can then work from there. But it has to be related to what I will be doing, which is extracting plasmids from bacterial colonies and running them through gel electrophoresis. If anyone out there could provide me with some suggestions, that'll be awesome! :)

Edited by Jovin Teng

Just an idea..

How does temperature affect plasmid density of (a type of bacteria).

You could loook at the distance traveled by the circular DNA and see if different temperatures (or any abiotic factor for that matter) affects it.

More dense = less distance traveled. Hope I helped!

• Like 1

Just an idea..

How does temperature affect plasmid density of (a type of bacteria).

You could loook at the distance traveled by the circular DNA and see if different temperatures (or any abiotic factor for that matter) affects it.

More dense = less distance traveled. Hope I helped!

Thanks brah! You definitely helped by giving me a head start to finding my research question! :) Also, you did give me very interesting things to think about... One question I have though, is when do I alter the temperature? At which stage? When growing the bacterial colonies?

Hey I'm glad I helped haha. Yes when growing. Im guessing you could incubate the bacteria at different temperatures. ** Find the lowest temperature that it will grow at and the highest then decide on different increments to use in between. There are loads of factors you can do too not just temperature :)

• Like 1