How screwed am I?

Please ignore the unhelpful idiot above me.

Firstly, let me start by saying that you're braver and more determined than many of those our age. In a culture (much like mine), where top grades are the norm, and you are expected to become a doctor or an engineer just like the neighbour's kid, you have chosen to do something you actually want to do. In fact, at a time when most of us have no clue what we're going to do with the rest of our lives, and simply are just working to the best sounding degree, you have a resolve and a goal. That in itself is amazing.

That said, increasing from a 23 to a 30 is not too hard in my opinion. However, achieving it in 6 days would be rather difficult, and you would need luck on your side. In all honesty, I don't think you should put too much faith in the grades from these exams. Focus on your actual IB exam itself. If you can, get all your IAs and stuff done to a great standard.

If you do want to somehow get good grades in this exam cycle, I'd suggest maybe studying a few chapters in depth, and the other sort of... light reading. This way you can actually answer some questions well, and get some 5s (possibly). You would need a bit of luck though, to get nice qns.

I can't help you with most of your subjects, but for math, it might be worth focusing on just the basics. You don't have much time, so try to get all the standard, simple qns right. Download a few practice papers and learn the basic skills, as these appear on most qns. You probably won't score well, but it might at least be a pass.

Focus on your actual exams though. Those you have to study for, really really hard. Please don't forget your goal though. People like you are a shining beacon to the rest of us.

• Like 5

I know what you mean I'v struggled with some things that severely limited my ability to learn effectively, although my family have been somewhat supportive there was still pressure and disappointment. It seems to me like you are on the right track, don;t let the anxiety comeback to beat you now, no matter the outcome of the exams you have started down a long but promising path. Yo cannot turn around years of physical and mental condition in a matter of weeks or months, but a start is a start! For sure focus on your exams, but be confident in the result. Not everyone can be like your siblings, that includes you. You have a different way of doing things and will have different results. You are doing well :)

Goodluck on your exams and study like you've never studied before!

• Like 2

Personally, I wouldn't worry much about the cycle tests. Two days isn't enough to make meaningful progress in the first place, so stressing out over it would only make things worse.Iit's fine if you don't see much improvement just yet too, as you said you are still in a "transition stage." Besides, it's really just meant as practice, what's really important is the actual November exam, so start studying for that instead. Take a structured approach, go through the syllabi each subject and solve a certain number of problems per day, where relevant. I cannot stress how important it is to take your time, try not to worry about expectations of others - I'm sure your parents would be thrilled if you improved, regardless of by how much.

Anyways, it's great to hear that you are improving. Keep it up, I'm sure you'll be fine. :)

Honestly I understand the whole parents putting pressure on you. I know this might not be the most helpful thing ever, but you need to stop using words like 'screwed' to describe yourself. Just try to clear your mind. You're going to have to get through the IB and your cycle papers which may seem treacherous, but you can do it. If you do think you're unprepared, instead of attempting to cram information in your head at the last moment, try to focus on key points. For example, things your teacher has mentioned repeatedly in class, or things you feel that are important. At the end of the day, you need to stop looking at your grades as something that defines you. Education is merit, however, don't give your grades the power to make you feel awful. Just try to organize yourself and clear your mind. You can do it. You just need to start believing you can!

Edited by priyav

You are not screwed. While it's unlikely you'll earn something like a 45, a 30 is a very respectable total given your circumstances and what you've had to go through. I am glad that you realized you're not worthless and that you found that one subject that really inspires you. My advice to you would be to spend the next few days just studying as effectively as you can because you've been given a second chance. Get some good sleep, and don't less stress or anxiety get to you and ruin what you've worked so hard for. And in the end even if you get a 28 or so, if you knew that you tried your hardest and gave it your all, you should be damn proud of that 28 or whatever total you end up with. A 45 doesn't equal happiness. A 40 doesn't equal happiness. Neither does having a "great" job and making a ton of money. Sure engineering is a great profession, but if we were all engineers then it would be a sad world. Happiness at the end of the day is knowing that you performed to the best of your ability and were honest with yourself and you're doing what you enjoy doing, and whatever mark comes back is the highest mark for you possible.

I sincerely wish you the best, and good luck. :)

• Like 2

tl;dr

Even though his comment does come off as a little bit insulting, given that OP has battled depression and severe social anxiety, I think that cjy is also asking for a tl;dr. (...not just leave a rude comment just for the sake of it)

In any case, I think a good tl;dr/"in a nutshell" for OP's (long-ish) text would be something like:

"I battled mental health issues in the past, thus didn't get good grades and failed my exams, which lead to my successful immediate family to be disappointed in me. However, now I have taken a turn for the better and am motivated to achieve good grades in my exams. I'm having normal exams before my finals in November 2013, and already want to begin receiving better grades. The next normal exams for all of my subjects are in 6 days from now. If I start studying now, how much can I improve my total score before my finals, given that it's August?"

--

The answer to OP's question: 1) It's absolutely FANTASTIC that you've found your motivation! Believe it or not, this actually occurs in many IB students before their finals. At first, they are in denial but then they have to face reality -- FINALS ARE COMING! So, good job!

2) YES, you can improve! Don't let your predicted grades define you! Never trust them. What matters are your grades from your final exams. But be sure to start studying ASAP, to achieve your full potential in the finals.

The maximum you can achieve is 45 and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Good luck and looking forward to hearing from you!

Edited by Stned

I believe first of all, you should be at peace with yourself. This means that you should not call yourself names or describe yourself with "nasty" adjectives. Second I believe that, if you keep up the "fighter" mentality by studying as hard as possible AND trying to keep your psychological status in a fashion as it is now; then you should be just fine. A study tip would be to do old exam papers, as many as possible as one may learn many NEW things from the markschemes, possibly as soon as NOW (don´t wait until the prior to finals). I believe that you should concentrate on your final exams and not on these "minor" tests, as the final IB exam is the important test and its there that you will hopefully gain the fruit of your hard work and improved lifestyle.

I wish you all success in the future :)

Wow, that's quite the improvement compared to your grades last year! ; :clap: With that kind of confidence, I wouldn't be worried at all.

As a general tip for the actual exams though, don't leave the exam early if you still need time. The examiner shouldn't be feeling upset for having to wait for you, the test was given a set time, which should be followed. For the majority of my exams, I try to sit there the entire time, checking it over, over and over when I'm finished (which has helped me numerous times). More time can only help you in an exam, so you have the right to make proper use of it.

I do want to advise though, that I'm not too sure if it's a good idea to just look at the points. While you probably can achieve high grades with the next and final exams, I really don't think you should pressure yourself to do so, especially if you start to struggle hitting the higher grades. Hitting 30+ alone would be quite the achievement, don't aim for a high grade just because your relatives are getting it. At the end of the day, points is just another form of measuring your academic ability, no more, no less.

In terms of preparation, it sounds like you are on the right track. For subjects that you write essays in the actual exam, I would recommend getting past papers of those and practicing that way too, similarly to Maths. This applies for English, along with Psychology and such, which may help you get used to the format, time frame, etc.

Anyways, good luck! Try to get as much sleep as you can though, don't push yourself too hard. ;)