IA Topic

summerneversets

I've been having trouble picking a good topic/rq. My older sister gave me some suggestions for a few that I could do, but I'm not sure if I should choose them. (I do know that they need to be reworded.) Can someone help with more topic suggestions or fix the ones my sister suggested?

• To what extent did the immigration of Mexicans, during the mid-20th century, influence American culture?
  • To what extent did Sir Richad Attenborough's movie, Gandhi, give an accurate portrayal of Gandhi's life?
  • To what extent was Margaret Sanger's public advocation for birth control in the US successful?

I'll try to help you out on your first one. While the general topic is good it really needs to be refined more. "American culture" is a broad term; what are you looking at specifically? You could look at how it changed the legislature, or the social issues (poverty, religion, etc.) You might be able to look at Mexico-US international relations if that's your cup of tea. If you don't narrow it down I fear that you'll have a unfocused essay which will dilute any good discussion you could have.

You only have so much room in your History IA, so make sure your focus is just right, no matter what the topic.

I don't think you should pursue the second topic; I'm not sure this topic is appropriate for the History IA. Sorry.

Actually, when I was trying to come up with a topic for my IA and was looking at past examples I noticed that a lot of the IAs that got 7s were looking at how a documentry or fictional book or movie portrayed a historical event. so, I did mine on how a book portrayed an event and I got a 7 too. Therefore, I think your second one is actually the best. It'll make your OPVL and analysis sections easier because all you need to do for the analysis is compare and contrast the movie with other sources and come to a conclusion of whether it's accurate. For example. the movie portrays X as Y, X is also believed to be Y in many historical sources such as 'Blahblahblah'. therefore, the movie quite is accurate in it's portrayal of X. obviously you would elaborate much more than that, but hopefully you can see that it's not too hard to write a good IA on a fictional or partly fictional portrayal of something. Although, if you do Ghandi, don't do his whole life, focus on one area or time frame otherwise you'll be waaaay over the word limit.

Most importantly though pick whichever topic interests you the most.