TOK Remark?

Zuler

So, I've gotten 39/60 in TOK, and so I'm 8 marks away from an A and 3 marks away from a C. Either grade change will make me gain or loose a bonus point respectively (I have a B in EE). Now, the thing is, I got an A in my presentation but only 19/40 in my essay. My teacher felt that it was an A grade essay, worthy of 30+ (and it was read by the other TOK teachers in my school as well).

My essay question was about a fifth way of knowing, I considered intuition and my AOKs were Math and Physical Sciences (I tried differing between the two as much as I could, and I felt I was pretty successful?). Maybe the examiner was not really into Math or the Sciences and that put him off?

My question is, is it worth asking for a remark (money isn't a question)? I'm obviously scared that I might fall down a grade and loose a point, but is there a chance of gaining 8 marks at all? If there is some chance, or if you've heard about this happening in TOK, then I'll definitely give it a shot (and I wouldn't mind as much even if I loose the point). However, I know sometimes TOK teachers' predictions can be way off, but could it be that this was just marked by some frustrated or inexperienced examiner, and that I could maybe gain 8 marks?

(I wouldn't ask such a question if it was a more objective subject, heck even EE I know would have no chance of rising 8 marks, but since this is TOK and I know that marking in the subject can sometimes differ due to the nature of the subject, I wanted to ask you well-informed folks).

What was your overall score? If it was 40+, don't bother.

Honestly, if other teachers thought it deserved an A, you should go for it. you should read it again once more to see if it is that good.

Another good thing to do would be to compare to other A level ToK essays.

ToK really is that one course where the marks change drastically based on the teacher. I think you should go for it (you seem to be good in your presentation, so I don't doubt your skills).

Honestly, if other teachers thought it deserved an A, you should go for it. you should read it again once more to see if it is that good.

ToK really is that one course where the marks change drastically based on the teacher. I think you should go for it (you seem to be good in your presentation, so I don't doubt your skills).

I got 43, so are you saying I shouldn't because of that? I mean, I'd love a 44 :P

See that's the thing, when I found out I got so low I honestly started doubting its quality, that's why I'm wondering if anyone's actually heard of TOK remarks differing from the original marks by a huge margin?

I got 43, so are you saying I shouldn't because of that? I mean, I'd love a 44 :P

See that's the thing, when I found out I got so low I honestly started doubting its quality, that's why I'm wondering if anyone's actually heard of TOK remarks differing from the original marks by a huge margin?

I think ToK is the most fluctuating subject of them all.

I think ToK is the most fluctuating subject of them all.

I see, so I think I'll give it a shot, because I don't think my essay will fall 3 more marks: I'm sure I did something right :P

Does anyone else have any TOK remark stories they'd like to share?

• 3 weeks later...

And I'd love a 45 :] But in the end, these marks don't really matter much, if you've already qualified for your program and any IB scholarships. A 43 is still pretty amazing and you should be proud. :P

Edited by Asim Datye

Well this is insane, but my English remark came back a 7 and so now I have 44! I feel more tempted than ever to get 45 with this TOK remark. I know it's a great score, but I just have this urge to push my luck a little further. So does anyone else have any TOK remark stories to share? I'm so conflicted now :S

Guest B.E.P.

Well this is insane, but my English remark came back a 7 and so now I have 44! I feel more tempted than ever to get 45 with this TOK remark. I know it's a great score, but I just have this urge to push my luck a little further. So does anyone else have any TOK remark stories to share? I'm so conflicted now :S

Just out of curiosity, how far was English from the 7?