Extended Essay Research Question Help

arigiz

Hi everyone! I am about to start writing my EE, but I am worried that my research question is too broad. My EE is on Economics, and currently my research question is: To what extent was the 2010 World Cup beneficial to the South African economy?

I've read some things that say that it's better to focus on a specific region of the country rather than the whole macroeconomy. Is that true? Should I choose a specific region to focus on?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

hmm, it's definitely a good topic, but it is quite broad. To narrow it down you could maybe choose just one area of the economy, or compare two areas. For example, food and beverages, merchandise, accommodation. Or you could pick two regions, say an urban region quite close to where the matches were played and a rural region quite far from all the Wold Cup activity, and compare how the World Cup affect both place's economies and therefore look at how widespread the benefits were.

Also, with your research question, make sure you write 'FIFA World Cup,' while most people should be able to figured out the sport, you still want to avoid any potential ambiguity in your question.

• Like 1

Hi everyone! I am about to start writing my EE, but I am worried that my research question is too broad. My EE is on Economics, and currently my research question is: To what extent was the 2010 World Cup beneficial to the South African economy?

I've read some things that say that it's better to focus on a specific region of the country rather than the whole macroeconomy. Is that true? Should I choose a specific region to focus on?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

as mentioned above, it is quite broad..

you'll need to get data for this essay to show your analysis and all that but getting data for this topic is quite difficult.. you might find statistics online but you can't be sure of their legitimacy...

the thing i have realised about the EE is that doing one on microeconomics is generally simpler.. in terms of the data required. i do prefer macro but even i'm doing mine on competition in a particular industry..

however, if you are able to get some relevant data from a particular city's authorities then you could go for it.. but i really wouldn't support the idea..

you should work on something in your region/city/vicinity..

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, hope you're all well :)

So i'm sitting for my I.B DP exams in Nov 2014. And I am commencing my Extended Essay NOW!

Anyways, I am doing it in Geography..and was wondering if you guys have any ideas of Research Questions. I'm totally blank at the moment. :/
Thankyou!

Josh

Hey guys, hope you're all well :)

So i'm sitting for my I.B DP exams in Nov 2014. And I am commencing my Extended Essay NOW!

Anyways, I am doing it in Geography..and was wondering if you guys have any ideas of Research Questions. I'm totally blank at the moment. :/

Thankyou!

Josh

This question is out of context... how about you start a new topic (go to http://www.ibsurvival.com/forum/16-extended-essay/ and press the blue "START NEW TOPIC" button) so that the people here can continue their discussion on an economics EE while you have your questions answered on a separate thread. Thank you. Edited by maroctam
  • Like 1