Sign in to follow this  

Chemistry IA Research Question Doubts

I have some doubts if my research question is ok. My experiment concerned the reaction of neutralisation and the research question I have formed is " What is the enthalpy value of of the process of neutralization between NaOH and HCl?

I feel this is not broad enough - all research questions I have met seem to start with the word "how".

I think that sounds fine. Chemistry IAs don't have to have fancy titles. You could even just call it "Obtaining the enthalpy of neutralisation between NaOH and HCl" which is a bit clearer to read. Short, sweet and to the point. It's more about the contents of what you did than the title you gave it. I wouldn't fret. Science people like a more matter-of-fact way of writing so the title I suggested is (in my humble opinion) better than the question format you've already got. But really, whatever works for you :P

• Like 1

I prefer phrasing it into a research question because one of the criteria's in Design part for an Internal Assessment is having a focused research question defining all variables.

Well,

You could even just call it "Obtaining the enthalpy of neutralisation between NaOH and HCl" which is a bit clearer to read.

Actually this is very close to the title of my work presented at the very beginning of the page. However, after my introduction , I have a section called "research question" where I formulate the exact question I am to investigate, as presented in my first post. Will this be ok? I know that one of the criteria concerns a focused research question.

Anyway thanks for the anwser :).

Well,

You could even just call it "Obtaining the enthalpy of neutralisation between NaOH and HCl" which is a bit clearer to read.

Actually this is very close to the title of my work presented at the very beginning of the page. However, after my introduction , I have a section called "research question" where I formulate the exact question I am to investigate, as presented in my first post. Will this be ok? I know that one of the criteria concerns a focused research question.

Anyway thanks for the anwser :).

Yes, that should be fine. Just word it very clearly and show what you're investigating, how you're investigating it, and why you're doing it.