Minimum greades for Oxford

Florian Priv

Hi guys,

I just got my results a few weeks ago. I know this sounds crazy; I have a total of 33 from the core - still pending the remarks though. I decided to spend a year in china to improve my chinese skills (did chinese ab.) after that I'd like to read Oriental studies at Oxford. Now I know, that my grades are much lower than what they reacquire, but do you think it is still worth giving it a try?

Thanks

Considering that you can only apply to 5 universities under UCAS, youve really got to think several times before applying to either oxford or cambridge

even some of my seniors who got like 43/45 didnt get in!

Its extremely competitive

However, there is no harm applying if youre applying into at least 3 other "safe" universities, meaning those youre almost 100% youll get into

good luck :)

Minimum requirements doesn't mean that as long as you're close you have a chance. The UK just doesn't work like that. Minimum requirements are exactly what they say they are, minimum. If you don't meet them, your application will go in the bin. Simple as that. The only way around this isifyou have mitigating circumstances.

• Like 1

thank you guys!

Minimum requirements doesn't mean that as long as you're close you have a chance. The UK just doesn't work like that. Minimum requirements are exactly what they say they are, minimum. If you don't meet them, your application will go in the bin. Simple as that. The only way around this isifyou have mitigating circumstances.

Well I kind of have.. but from the EU will this make a difference?

thank you guys!

Well I kind of have.. but from the EU will this make a difference?

The validity of mitigating circumstances does not increase or decrease if you'r a home, EU or international student. If your reasons are compelling enough, Oxford may be lenient towards you, but there are no guarantees.

You'd need 38 to get a chance though, so you'd need to get 5 more points from remarks. I myself was considering reapplying to Oxford for Oriental Studies (Arabic) with 39 but I have a place at St. Andrews that I didn't want to lose. Try by all means, but don't get your hopes up.

• 2 weeks later...