What to do after my subjects..

Adrianna

Hi guys,

I am about to start the second year of IB so it is time for me to start thinking about the universities. I have to admit that my subjects in IB are kind of random because while I was choosing them I had completely no idea what to do in my life. So those are: English B HL, Polish A HL, Geography HL, Biology SL, Maths SL and French SL. Actually, I am more fond of my SL subjects than HL :).

Now I know that my deamed career would be the career of a dietetician, or something connected with it. However, the problem is that as far as I know I need both Biology and Chemistry HL for Dietetics course and I have biology sl and no chemistry at all..

I was thinking about studying psychology and then doing a dietetics postgraduate course - it is possible to do so in my country (Poland), but here, psychology courses are rubbish, and I generally would prefer to go abroad. I have written to several unis in Scotland and UK, and I got the reply that it MAY be possible, but nothing precise, or some of them replied that it is not possible.

Maybe you could help me is it possible somehow for me to reach my goal?

I was interested mostly in learning in Scotland or Netherlands, but the place is not so important, I want to see the world :).

If not, I am also searching other courses, anything interesting that I can do with my subjects. Because I hardly can see anything, frankly speaking.. Ideally, I would like to do in my life something connected promoting healthyl lifestyle, sports and cooking, because that is what I am most interested. I also was thinking about business, or something connected with ecology

Really, I am looking forward any clues to what I can do with my subjects.. Thanks a lot for any help.

I am in the exact same position you are - entering senior year and I have no idea what to do with my life. So honestly, I'm not really in a position to be giving advice, but I'll try my best ;-)

I think too much emphasis is placed on determining a career path right off the bat, so I think you ought to pursue the studies you enjoy in uni, and see where life takes you. You mentioned you want to be a dietician; I think doing an undergraduate first sounds like a good idea, as it will give you the chance to explore your options. Have you considered anything other than psychology?

Thanks a lot for reply :)

I do agree with you that maybe there is too much pression.. And for many of us the goals will change. But we have to choose something for the time being..

but I don't understand fully what you mean, because what I meant was that I would really like to do undergraduate in dietetics, but I can't because of my lack of chemistry in IB. So that's why I am searching is there any other option how to become a dietetician, or do something connected with it and hoped that maybe someone would give me some advice.. That's simply because I don't possess a huge knowledge about eduaction system in every single country :).

Before you cross of a nutrition or dietics (or different variations) degree in the UK, first you should search UCAS and specific university entry requirements for the different degrees. It seems like it could be somewhat possible.

Food science/ sports science/ nutrition (might require chemistry) are courses that seem connected to what you say you're interested in.

Thanks a lot, it seems that I didn't know how to search, now I have found something..

But gosh, now I don't really know what I want, maybe it would be better to go into business, or law, which was my first idea.. Those courses that I found in dietetics area aren't the most prestigious universities and I wonder what job and what salary will I have after psychology..

I really cannot understand all that "modules" stuff. Could please someone be so kind and explain it to me? I would be very grateful :)

What does IT mean.. :

Applicants who have a first or upper second class honours degree, which does not contain either sufficient biochemistry or physiology but not both, can undertake further relevant modules at undergraduate level, prior to applying for the programme

Thanks a lot, it seems that I didn't know how to search, now I have found something..

But gosh, now I don't really know what I want, maybe it would be better to go into business, or law, which was my first idea.. Those courses that I found in dietetics area aren't the most prestigious universities and I wonder what job and what salary will I have after psychology..

I really cannot understand all that "modules" stuff. Could please someone be so kind and explain it to me? I would be very grateful :)

What does IT mean.. :

Applicants who have a first or upper second class honours degree, which does not contain either sufficient biochemistry or physiology but not both, can undertake further relevant modules at undergraduate level, prior to applying for the programme

I don't know the context of the quote but basically it's saying:

If you have a 1st of 2:1 honours degree already

AND have not done sufficient Biochemistry within that degree

OR have not done sufficient Physiology within that degree

but NOT if you've failed to do sufficient of both Biochemistry and Physiology

can take a short course in whichever one is missing (Biochemistry/Physiology) as an extra thing

in order to become qualified to then apply to this second degree you're looking at.

You're looking quite far into the future here in that you'd already have to have done a degree! Basically each degree is made up of modules which are particular areas of study. A bit like the IB subjects are broken up into sections so in Biology you study Plants & Cells and then you study Hormones & Physiology etc, it's the same at University. You take modules which address particular areas. Some of them will be compulsory for your degree and others optional. Some degrees every single module you take is compulsory and you have no choice at all, but the majority of degrees do give you options so you can decide which avenues to pursue based on your interests. In the thing you're looking at, you'd have to have done an acceptable module in Physiology and Biochemistry - or take some extra time in order to complete whichever one you've not yet done - in order to get onto the course.

Hope that makes sense.