Is recommendation from teachers important when applying for US/UK universities?

SinaXO

Hi,

I was just wondering if it is necessarily important to send in a recommendation letter from my respective teachers when applying to universities located primarly in the US or UK area. This is due to the fact the significant part of my teachers hate me for personal or occasional reasons and would most likely write a negative letter if they would consider writing one at all.

However, I consider myself as an overall manageable student; since I don't struggle with the workload and recieve remarkable grades on the small tests my teachers decide to have occasionally (besides chemistry, which takes up 90% of my study time and still provides me poor results :( ).

So this bring us back to the question, which is: Does the recommendation letter have to be sent when applying for admission and if that is the case; does it play any significant role for me being admitted to an US/UK university?

Thank you for taking your time sharing your thoughts!

~Sina

A reference needs to be sent by teachers for UK universities and it's importance varies from university to university. Your personal statement is more important though. I don't think your teachers can be too negative. They'd be more likely to just omit positive things. If you're really worried, go to the teacher that knows you the most and talk to them about it. You should ask to read it before it's sent off as well.

For UK its only one thats required. For US unis it depends. Some require two, some require three, and some dont even require any :) So based on what uni you want to apply to, check out how many they need; the uni generally specifies.

good luck :)

For universities in the U.S. it will depend on the individual university. Just make sure that you send exactly how many recommendations the university asks for. If they ask for 3, then ONLY send 3. If you try to send too few or too many then it will most likely count against you.

My recommendation for UK universitites was written by my English tutor, who teaches me outside of school, so not by a school teacher, no one had any problem with it. It might be a good option for you, unless you're completing UCAS through your school.

I would personally say that it plays a huge role, Of coruse it varies from school to school but when I apply to a University I would like to get as honest letters of recomendations as possible.

I do certainly not think that if you ask a teacher in a subject in which you have developed a lot in, that they would write something mean even if they don't like you for personal reasons!? Although, making teachers dislike you isn't the best thing you could do.

But the point is, with letters of recomendation, the university can see you from a different perspective then you might present yourself in. You wouldn't write in your personal letter to the Uni that you might be lazy, don't take responsibility etc. I don't think the teachers that write you recomendations will either, but they will give the Uni the most honest picture of you.

That's why you should be nice and talk to teachers, even if you dont like them :-)