Language A1_Comparison between Thomas Hardy's "The Mayor of Casterbridge" and ... ?

Nima

Well hello there.

I've been doing a lot of works regarding my Extended Essay lately. To give you a brief, decided to first work on Social and Cultural Anthropology and investigate Japan's suicide problems (meh...) which I could not come up with any "self-reflected" sort of ideas concerning that topic. I then decided to write something in Language A1, Cat 3 (Since I like linguistics, yet I have to mention I've had no talents of some special sort or anything at it hehe), and decided to work on some Language and Thought ideas concerning Linguistic Relativity (Sapir-Whorf) and etc...Again, unsuccessful coming up with ideas since I literally understood nothing, NOTHING, from the books/articles that I read concerning the topic.

So here I am now, deciding to work on some comparison works and stuff. I really do enjoy George Orwell's writings; nevertheless I have to mention that I'm completely aware that since his famous works (1984/ Animal Farm) have been analyzed in and out of Extended Essays to the single bits of the atoms of the ink used to write those works, therefore I've decided to let go of his works.

I greatly enjoyed this book by Thomas Hardy, called The Mayor of Casterbridge and decided to work on a comparison including this and something else, something which due to it being an indefinite something which hasn't yet been determined, I came here.

I wanted to ask some of those people who've already read this book and of course had some experience with the kind of books we deal with in IB, that what point worthy of argumentation did they find interesting among this book and that "something" book which I ask you for a name?

I have read quite some books myself, but wasn't able to notice such a point, and that's why I'm asking.

So yea, I would appreciate it if I could have access to some of the ideas you people have around here,

Thanks in advance!! :)

I love Thomas Hardy's novels :D If it were me, I'd either find some point within the Mayor of Casterbridge and try to get 4,000 words out of it or perhaps also be tempted to do two of his novels together.

One novel which I also really loved and might bear comparison is Love in the Time of Cholera. I don't know if it fits the rules around comparing texts for EE (I can't remember if one of them can be in translation or not) but perhaps if you've read it (or you could read it anyway because it is an awesome book) you might be able to draw some parallels. If not and you love reading Hardy, I think it would compare well with Far From the Madding Crowd. They both have a sort-of thwarted love at the middle of them.

• Like 1

I love Thomas Hardy's novels :D If it were me, I'd either find some point within the Mayor of Casterbridge and try to get 4,000 words out of it or perhaps also be tempted to do two of his novels together.

One novel which I also really loved and might bear comparison is Love in the Time of Cholera. I don't know if it fits the rules around comparing texts for EE (I can't remember if one of them can be in translation or not) but perhaps if you've read it (or you could read it anyway because it is an awesome book) you might be able to draw some parallels. If not and you love reading Hardy, I think it would compare well with Far From the Madding Crowd. They both have a sort-of thwarted love at the middle of them.

Thanks for your concerns :D I will read both of these books, starting with Far From the Madding Crowd first since I've seen successful EE's with good marks that compared two works of the same writer.

I was searching through Spark Notes for the past hour and one interesting thing I've found was that both Shakespeare and Hardy somehow had deterministic points of views who believed that the forces controlling the human life was not in human hands. What do you think about a comparison between how/whether Macbeth and Henchard both/each face a tragic downfall that results from their fates? Or do they determine these fates themselves?