Sign in to follow this  

Essay help

Hey guys, I have this question.. does the tok essay has to have a link with another subject of the IB Diploma in somewhere of it?

Yes, I know that, but my teacher told me that I had to link at least one of my arguments with an experience I've had in another subjetc of the IB Diploma. She said it was needed to strengthen my argument.

You don't have to use an example from an experience in another subject you've done - there are no set requirements/anything in the criteria to say you have to. However, you might find that somewhere along your IB journey you'll have done/experienced something that might be a good example for what you're arguing in your ToK Essay. Knower's perspective is also part of the essay criteria and using a personal example can help to show that.

You'll see that nearly all excellent ToK essays have some kind of personal example, although you really don't have to link it to an experience you've had in another subject of the IB. If you've already got a good personal example in there and show your 'voice' strongly throughout the essay, you should be good to go. If not, then putting in a personal example is a good idea - it can also be about your extracurricular activities/your background/your context, not just your experience in the IB. Hope this helps! :)