ab initio or HL ? HELP

I really think that if you feel like you have the skill from your 5 years, you should do SL French. I don't find it too difficult, and a conversation with the IB French teacher at your school will tell you whether or not you're up to par. You might even choose HL, depending on what your teacher says about your skill.

Studying at HL simply means that you will be marked with a harder criterion and that you will have to study 2 literature texts.. if you feel like you can analyse them and read or even understand French literature then I salute you!

Wait a minute... I'm in SL, and our teacher already made us read and analyze a book in French! No fair! If I'm doing HL work, I want HL credit! I had to write a 200 word essay analyzing an aspect of that book!

i think that's normal.. because in one of our IAs we have to do some analysis sort of thing between two texts.. a reflective statement or something like that..

Incorrect. Only at HL it does. At SL it's supposed to be between 3 articles and at HL between 2 literary texts.

cjy is right. At SL we get 3 articles that we have to read then write 250 or so words on it along with a rationale. At HL you actually study texts..

My hindi teacher too first had the misconception that at SL we needed to study books but I isn't true. If you search Language B syllabus on this website, then you will find some useful info.

oh, we're also doing them but i didn't know it was specifically articles..and are you sure about the number of articles? i thought it was only 2..

No clue! He was just like, "Here, Le Petit Prince. Read x number of chapters per night and complete a series of short answer questions on that chapter, plus an essay question for each one." We did a couple of big essays on it, and one partner project (well... or a class project. There are only two of us in it, so it's not like we were wondering who our partner was going to be) on it as well, discussing symbols in the book and what they symbolized, and we got to informally present that to the French 3 class that we sit with.

Well u better ask him about whether he is knowingly teaching HL or giving HL work accidentally. Then either do HL French, or tell him you only want to do SL.

I don't exactly know how I would go about doing such a thing. I mean, I don't want to be rude or anything...

You're not alone in this my friend! Even my teacher's making us analyse novels and films. It's annoying, but she says that doing the HL components will help SL people. I'm living with it because I don't want to be projected as rude either...

No clue! He was just like, "Here, Le Petit Prince. Read x number of chapters per night and complete a series of short answer questions on that chapter, plus an essay question for each one." We did a couple of big essays on it, and one partner project (well... or a class project. There are only two of us in it, so it's not like we were wondering who our partner was going to be) on it as well, discussing symbols in the book and what they symbolized, and we got to informally present that to the French 3 class that we sit with.

Well u better ask him about whether he is knowingly teaching HL or giving HL work accidentally. Then either do HL French, or tell him you only want to do SL.

I don't exactly know how I would go about doing such a thing. I mean, I don't want to be rude or anything...

Perhaps you could ask him/her what the difference is between HL and SL in French in terms of assessment and learning - then see what he replies. Also if you think appropriate, you could politely say you were getting confused because you heard online that HL involves literature book analysis etc.

I really think that if you feel like you have the skill from your 5 years, you should do SL French. I don't find it too difficult, and a conversation with the IB French teacher at your school will tell you whether or not you're up to par. You might even choose HL, depending on what your teacher says about your skill.

Studying at HL simply means that you will be marked with a harder criterion and that you will have to study 2 literature texts.. if you feel like you can analyse them and read or even understand French literature then I salute you!

Wait a minute... I'm in SL, and our teacher already made us read and analyze a book in French! No fair! If I'm doing HL work, I want HL credit! I had to write a 200 word essay analyzing an aspect of that book!

i think that's normal.. because in one of our IAs we have to do some analysis sort of thing between two texts.. a reflective statement or something like that..

Incorrect. Only at HL it does. At SL it's supposed to be between 3 articles and at HL between 2 literary texts.

cjy is right. At SL we get 3 articles that we have to read then write 250 or so words on it along with a rationale. At HL you actually study texts..

My hindi teacher too first had the misconception that at SL we needed to study books but I isn't true. If you search Language B syllabus on this website, then you will find some useful info.

oh, we're also doing them but i didn't know it was specifically articles..and are you sure about the number of articles? i thought it was only 2..

I did my written assignment last year, and I got a 6 in it with 3 articles so I am 100% sure that's how many you need. Get your teacher to read the syllabus

I did my written assignment last year, and I got a 6 in it with 3 articles so I am 100% sure that's how many you need. Get your teacher to read the syllabus

ohh nice,, i really want a 7 in french!! but its going to take lots of practice..

okay.. either i didn't hear him right or maybe he got it wrong.. i'll look into it.. thanks

Edited by MISHI

ohh nice,, i really want a 7 in french!! but its going to take lots of practice..

okay.. either i didn't hear him right or maybe he got it wrong.. i'll look into it.. thanks

It's nearly impossible. Grade boundaries this year were 88% for a 7.

yeahh, i was checking out the boundaries and i think french had the highest boundary.. how much did you get?

yeahh, i was checking out the boundaries and i think french had the highest boundary.. how much did you get?

I got 83% overall, with 7s in both papers, a 6 in my written assignment and a 4 in my oral.

I would reccommend whatever makes most sense for you in university, since that's the real reason most of us are probably doing IB. If you think you could do well in HL French (meaning that you are really good at French right now), then go for it because you could get hours and potential credit for a language in university, thus making your workload easier when you get there. However, if your French is a bit shaky or if you haven't done IB before (no PYP or MYP) then I agree with those saying do French SL. Any IB SL course would look better than ab initio, plus you already know that language! Good luck

I really think that if you feel like you have the skill from your 5 years, you should do SL French. I don't find it too difficult, and a conversation with the IB French teacher at your school will tell you whether or not you're up to par. You might even choose HL, depending on what your teacher says about your skill.Wait a minute... I'm in SL, and our teacher already made us read and analyze a book in French! No fair! If I'm doing HL work, I want HL credit! I had to write a 200 word essay analyzing an aspect of that book!

I got 83% overall, with 7s in both papers, a 6 in my written assignment and a 4 in my oral.

that's pretty good,, but a 4 in the oral? was your teacher too strict or what :P

I really think that if you feel like you have the skill from your 5 years, you should do SL French. I don't find it too difficult, and a conversation with the IB French teacher at your school will tell you whether or not you're up to par. You might even choose HL, depending on what your teacher says about your skill.Wait a minute... I'm in SL, and our teacher already made us read and analyze a book in French! No fair! If I'm doing HL work, I want HL credit! I had to write a 200 word essay analyzing an aspect of that book!

that's pretty good,, but a 4 in the oral? was your teacher too strict or what :P

No, the moderators for the oral are very strict.

• Like 1