Philosophy Extended essay- Arguments for God

Guest eharriss

Guest eharriss

I am currently in the final stages of research for my extended essay. Over time I have started to realise what I would like to write about which has meant that I have had to change my previous question. I am not sure about my current question, it is as follows:

To what extent is the ontological argument more highly regarded than the teleological argument as an argument for God?

-Is this still too broad?

-Should I mention specific philosophers?

-Is it clear enough that it is a philosophy essay?

My teacher is not responding to emails and I would love feedback before I start writing.

Thanks

"To what extent..."

How do you intend to evaluate ("measure") this? This could be problematic if you have not thought about it enough.

Would you get more purchase with the question "In what ways is the ontological...". Or "How is the ontological argument more highly regarded ..."? Just a thought. Hopefully your supervisor will get back to you soon. Always good to have his/her blessing beforehand.

Yes, why not mention philosophers by name - if only to acknowledge on whose shoulders you are standing. Your ideas and arguments are coming from somewhere, aren't they, unless they are totally unique to you (in which case, you will be acknowledged as an original thinker, or better... a genius! ). I doubt naming thinkers is necessary for a good mark, though.

Edited by Blackcurrant

I am currently in the final stages of research for my extended essay. Over time I have started to realise what I would like to write about which has meant that I have had to change my previous question. I am not sure about my current question, it is as follows:

To what extent is the ontological argument more highly regarded than the teleological argument as an argument for God?

-Is this still too broad?

-Should I mention specific philosophers?

-Is it clear enough that it is a philosophy essay?

My teacher is not responding to emails and I would love feedback before I start writing.

Thanks

As a rule, I would say avoid religious arguments 100% of the time. They're unsolvable, humungous things that you can't possibly address in just 4,000 words. People spend their lives addressing them and still haven't got anywhere. You don't know who your examiner is going to be - the world's no. 1 atheist, a fundamentalist bible basher or a muslim cleric - and that will massively colour the way it's marked.

So that's my first thing. If you disregard that and look just at the question you've got, I would say there are two problems. Firstly what Blackcurrant said and secondly, what on earth is "highly regarded" going to mean in practice? Philosophy is the analysis of logic and theories first and foremost and the analysis of opinions probably last. To me, it doesn't sound like a Philosophy essay, it sounds like a commentary on social regard.

I really do mean what I say with avoiding religion.

• Like 1