IB History Extended Essay Topic Help

IBStudent123

Can anyone help me with my topic for the History EE topic?

The Question: To what extent did the limited knowledge of diseases and medicine affect the population and average lifespan of humans during the Middle Ages?

I already know that the Middle Ages weren't the best of times to live in in terms of hygiene. Knowing that, and the fact there was a lot of pseudo science back then due to people's religiosity and ignorance on disease back then, I think I'd be able to write a good essay. :)

What do you think? Is too broad? Should I focus on a more specific timespan?

This doesn't really seem like a history EE to me. It may be on a historical time period, but just because something happened a long time ago doesn't mean it's history. History EEs usually analyze an event, person, or historical artifact. Try reading through the guidelines for history EEs, that might help you decide a more appropriate question. :)

Yeah this is quite an evident question. Lack of knowledge = short lifespan.

This is more historial geography.

You can focus on medicine, but the medicine questions I've seen have been like

"Why was the spread of vaccination so rapid in the early years of the 19th century despite the turmoil of the Napoleonic Wars?"
This essay got an A