ess or biology

shreya

I think that either way, you're going to be doing writing (it is IB after all), but Bio does have less writing than ESS. I took Bio-SL this past year, but many of my friends took ESS- SL. On the Bio exam, there is a multiple choice section, and there is only one extended response.

I know that the scoring rubrics for SL Bio can be difficult-- they are very specific. However, I would assume that the ESS rubrics have a similar level of specificity. Bio was a difficult class, but as long as you study, you will do fine on the test because it is basically all memorization. I got a 7, and I studied a lot.

• Like 1

Check out and compare the syllabi and criterion on the internet. Bio SL is looked favourably upon by universities so I would recommend that since it is mostly memorisation, and the syllabus isn't too tough if you have a good teacher and listen in class. I wouldn't say that there is too much writing in Bio SL (the labs can however be rather lengthy if you want to score well). I'm not really that well informed on ESS, so I don't want to say anything incorrect but I've heard it is the "science for the non-scientist". If you have to choose by tomorrow I would definitely recommend that you go and look at the syllabus content and past paper questions – you could also email/ask the teachers what their opinion of the course is, and they could help you choose :)

Good luck!

Which one we can score better?

many people would say it depends on how much you like the subject and how much effort you put into it.. which is true, but i still think ESS may be easier.. its like geography.. sort of continuing the stuff from elementary school or whatever.. of course its a higher level than that but you might find it easier than Bio..

Well, ESS is a lot of writing with structured answers built up from your knowledge of the course as well analysis questions, if I am not mistaken. Biology, as other people have mentioned, is a lot of memorizing and I would recommend it if you feel you have a good enough memory and can deal with the nomenclature used in the course. (of course ESS also has it's own 'language', though)

ESS is less science-ish than Bio. I would also consider that you are taking both economic and business. This makes me infer that you want to go for something related to business. If that's the case, ESS would be more useful, because it also studies the impact of population on the environment. (you know, it helps with the social responsibility part of businesses)

Edited by RodrigoA
  • Like 1