Subject choices

Hi guys,

After summer break I'm starting my first year of the IB and I had a question about my choices. After the IB I want to study Economics (with mathematics) at one of the top 5 uni's in the UK.

So here are my classes:

HL: Math, Economics, Swedish B

SL: Physics, Chemisty, English A1

So do you guys think that these choices are appropriate or should I switch Swedish B for chemistry? The only reason I don't want to do this is because I think that Math HL would take up a lot of my time.

So do you guys have any suggestions?

Hi guys,

After summer break I'm starting my first year of the IB and I had a question about my choices. After the IB I want to study Economics (with mathematics) at one of the top 5 uni's in the UK.

So here are my classes:

So do you guys think that these choices are appropriate or should I switch Swedish B for chemistry? The only reason I don't want to do this is because I think that Math HL would take up a lot of my time.

i suggest you take Business & Management instead of chem.. or if you're way better at chem than physics, drop physics.. but i think you should pick up B&M.. its easier to relate to when you have economics.. :P otherwise its a good combination..

• Like 1

Great :) I just thought it would "look better" but I see your point. Does anyone else have any opinions?

Hi guys,

So here are my classes:

i suggest you take Business & Management instead of chem.. or if you're way better at chem than physics, drop physics.. but i think you should pick up B&M.. its easier to relate to when you have economics.. :P otherwise its a good combination..

Yeah but unfortunately my school doesn't offer B&M :(

Great :) I just thought it would "look better" but I see your point. Does anyone else have any opinions?

Hi guys,

So here are my classes:

Yeah but unfortunately my school doesn't offer B&M :(

ohh that sucks.. well, what are you're options then??

Hi guys,

So here are my classes:

I disagree. B&M is seen as a soft subject in the UK and unis do not like it if you do B&M and economics together. Do one or the other.

Your options are fine as they are. Maths HL is obviously a requirement but a language shows diversity!

• Like 1

Hi guys,

So here are my classes:

I disagree. B&M is seen as a soft subject in the UK and unis do not like it if you do B&M and economics together. Do one or the other.

Your options are fine as they are. Maths HL is obviously a requirement but a language shows diversity!

soft in what sense? are you sure? and why don't they like it? that's odd..

Hi guys,

So here are my classes:

Soft as in easy. I am sure. I read it on both the Cambridge and LSE websites. They equate it to A-level Business Studies which in general is taken by weaker students. Because economics and B&M are quite similar and it doesn't show vey much breadth. They prefer you either do Economics or B&M but not both, although they'd prefer Economics.

Hi guys,

So here are my classes:

Soft as in easy. I am sure. I read it on both the Cambridge and LSE websites. They equate it to A-level Business Studies which in general is taken by weaker students. Because economics and B&M are quite similar and it doesn't show vey much breadth. They prefer you either do Economics or B&M but not both, although they'd prefer Economics.

oh, alright. thanks for the info

Hi guys,

So here are my classes:

S'alright. It won't matter too much if you're applying to less competitive unis and have a high prediction. And it won't matter at all if you're applying to the States.

Hi guys,

So here are my classes:

S'alright. It won't matter too much if you're applying to less competitive unis and have a high prediction. And it won't matter at all if you're applying to the States.

it's good you added that! haha :P that kinda demoralized me :P although i know i should have also taken HL math, i know for sure that's just something i can't do :P

Hi guys,

So here are my classes:

it's good you added that! haha :P that kinda demoralized me :P although i know i should have also taken HL math, i know for sure that's just something i can't do :P

Where are you thinking of applying?

Hi guys,

So here are my classes:

Where are you thinking of applying?

canada and/or the USA