which of the works should i write my essay on

we've got 'istanbul:memories and the city-orhan pamuk' and 'waiting for godot-samuel beckett'

since i don't really know what this essay has to be based on and don't have a good idea of the whole written assignment thing, which one would you suggest me to work on?

being lazy, i'm thinking waiting for godot is short so it may be the better option.. since i haven't read the other novel.. i'm confused.

It should be the one you enjoy! That way you will be passionate about writing it and will have the greatest knowledge. if you enjoyed neither, do it on the one which you know better.

true, but as i mentioned i just went through godot once and i skimmed through the first 10 chapters of the novel.. didn't like any of them..

If you think you are lazy and didn't even read the other novel. (I an inferring you read the shorter one already?) Just work on the one that you know the most about. The World Literature essay must be concise, as it only is 1500 words long. Try reading studies published about your chosen text to guide you and give you ideas, at the least.

• Like 1

Finding out what the Written Assignment is about and what are its requirements should be a priority here. It may also help you decide which work to use.

I've attached a link to the IBO Guide for Lit.A. You'll find what you need on pp. 29-34

http://xmltwo.ibo.org/publications/EAD/2011-en/guides/GR1-A_Lit_EN.pdf

The process for producing the WA has changed from the old A1 system where you we given little guidance to the almost-fail-safe one of the new curriculum. Teachers are far more involved in giving guidance.

• Like 1

The problem with short novels might be that it may be hard to find much to write about, thus you end up with a bad topic, and possibly a bad essay. I was forced into writing my essay on a short novel in which not much happened. It was hard to find a topic and the writing process was horrible. And I ended up with a pretty unsatisfactory grade.

The problem with short novels might be that it may be hard to find much to write about, thus you end up with a bad topic, and possibly a bad essay. I was forced into writing my essay on a short novel in which not much happened. It was hard to find a topic and the writing process was horrible. And I ended up with a pretty unsatisfactory grade.

but this is a literary essay so isn't this sort of a commentary? and in something like waiting for Godot i could find lots of stuff in it, couldn't i?

but this is a literary essay so isn't this sort of a commentary? and in something like waiting for Godot i could find lots of stuff in it, couldn't i?

I wouldn't say it's a sort of commentary. My topic was something about the duality of the narration.

I wouldn't say it's a sort of commentary. My topic was something about the duality of the narration.

then what exactly do we have to write in it? and do we just come up with any topic related to it like we did for the IOP?

then what exactly do we have to write in it? and do we just come up with any topic related to it like we did for the IOP?

If we're talking about the same assignment, and I'm talking about the one that is externally assessed by the IBO and forms a part of your grade, you should be guided by your teacher. You write some sort of a reflective statement first, then in-class writing from which you should develop your topic.

• Like 1

As I read through the thread, one reminder may be in order:

Be careful MISHI, when writing on any of these, to distinguish between novel and drama. Waiting for Godot (which you seem to be leaning towards) is drama. The literary conventions are different to those of novels and therefore your literary appreciation will consider aspects proper to playwriting than with novel-writing. It is worth emphasizing this in view of the mistakes candidates sometimes (often enough, actually) which lose them points.

Think "audience" rather than "readers" .... There is more to it than that, but just to give fair warning. :). Good luck!

Edited by Blackcurrant
  • Like 1

As I read through the thread, one reminder may be in order:

Be careful MISHI, when writing on any of these, to distinguish between novel and drama. Waiting for Godot (which you seem to be leaning towards) is drama. The literary conventions are different to those of novels and therefore your literary appreciation will consider aspects proper to playwriting than with novel-writing. It is worth emphasizing this in view of the mistakes candidates sometimes (often enough, actually) which lose them points.

Think "audience" rather than "readers" .... There is more to it than that, but just to give fair warning. :). Good luck!

honestly, i don't get the whole idea of a literary essay.. and yeah waiting for godot is a drama.. so does that make it more difficult?