How difficult is it to achieve a 7 within a class? Specifics and examples would be most appreciated.

Most interested in replies in relation to:

HL English

HL Mathematics

HL Biology

HL Pyschology

SL Chemistry

Ab Initio Spanish

Thanks.

you just gotta do your work on time and go with the flow.. if you ever feel your lagging behind in something, put in some extra effort.. you may have to work really hard for HL math..it scares me :P for english i'd suggest you to read the books twice.. i mentioned this is another post.. read them twice.. the second time round you should note down the important points which you think maybe worthy of analysing or stuff like that.. it's not exactly 'difficult'.. procrastination makes it crazy in the second year..

Edited by MISHI

HL Biology has the least amount of students earning a 7 with the sciences. It's not the 'hardest' in terms of understand. It's difficult earn a 7 because of the sheer amount of content you will need to remember and apply and a high rate.

Higher level math is also re-known for being incredibly difficult. Most likely going to be the subject you'll put the most effort into.

We can't really tell you how difficult it is to achieve a 7 as every one is different… You can look up the IB world averages and maybe that'll provide you with a vague idea. The level of difficulty in achieving a 7 in a certain subject could be really really easy for someone and really really hard for another person.

Generally from my own experience and knowledge of the IB though, I'm finding HL English very difficult because I struggle to analyse text by myself and write essays sophisticatedly. Many people in my English class also find the subject difficult, and I'd say it's the class where most people will not get a 7, and most will get a 5 or 6. I find that unlike other content/memorising subjects, English is more difficult to improve in.

HL Maths - some content is really difficult, other topics are really easy. Doing the papers and questions requires lots of practice and time. I think a 5 or 6 shouldn't be too hard to get, but a 7 requires that extra step of mathematical intuition and knowledge. Particularly with the new syllabus / maths exploration, I think it'll be even harder to get a 7 as it will require even more advanced, sophisticated, individual and creative maths thinking, and to a certain extent you can't really develop the natural mathematics ability.

HL Biology - lots of content, but if you memorise everything a 7 shouldn't be too hard.

SL Chem - you might find one or two topics difficult but overall I'm finding that just memorising the textbook gets me by (grade 7) on exams.

I don't know anything about Psych, and Spanish ab initio.. (although I did Italian ab initio and found it really easy - but I've always found learning languages easy).

Hope this helps :) I could provide you with even more specific information about individual subjects if you were interested/asked more specific questions. :)

Edited by bluedino

HL maths --> 1 hour of practise at least every single day and make sure you keep on revising the earlier topics

HL bio --> learn how to cram stuff some days before the test, it's all about memorisation and drawing fancy diagrams

HL eng --> make extensive notes in class and learn your literary devices (can't stress the latter enough)

SL chem --> fully understand the concept and practise questions

Language B --> pay attention in class and try to speak the language in class with the teacher and students....it helps immensely

My opinion is that it is never easy to get a 7, unless it's a language B you speak fluently (though some people in my class got 6s in English B, even though they did IB in English). Work as hard as you can, make sure your IAs are as good as they possibly can be, do past papers and study, study, study.

Also, it's quite subjective as to how difficult it is to get a 7 in a given subject, so I don't think anyone can really tell you if a subject is difficult or not. By default, getting a 7 is hard.

HL Biology has the least amount of students earning a 7 with the sciences. It's not the 'hardest' in terms of understand. It's difficult earn a 7 because of the sheer amount of content you will need to remember and apply and a high rate.

Higher level math is also re-known for being incredibly difficult. Most likely going to be the subject you'll put the most effort into.

But what about chemistry and physics HL?

Guest B.E.P.

How difficult is it to achieve a 7 within a class? Specifics and examples would be most appreciated.

Most interested in replies in relation to:

HL English

HL Mathematics

HL Biology

HL Pyschology

SL Chemistry

Ab Initio Spanish

Thanks.

From experience, I believe getting a 7 in English HL is extremely challenging, because there are many factors involved that are extremely subjective.

For Math HL, if you put the effort of working everyday, you can get a 7, but it's not a walk in the park either.

Biology HL - from what I've heard - is extremely content heavy, if you can memorize a lot of information, you might have a chance at a 7.

Psychology HL is similar to Biology HL in that sense.

Chemistry SL is not really that difficult, if you have a really, really good understanding of the topics, then you can easily get a 6/7.

Spanish ab initio SL shouldn't be that difficult, at my school, French ab initio was the most class with people earning 7s.