Difficulty of HL English?

Alexzianna

Our school doesn't offer SL English so we're all forced to take HL English, I was wondering at its difficulty level? Should I do some summer prep before going into the class? and what novels do we read? My first language is Russian... would that make English HL harder?

Thanks

To be honest, from what I've heard it's only marginally harder than SL. Your teacher chooses the texts so it varies hugely. Not at all, I know people whose second or third language is English and have achieved 7s in HL English Lit A.

• Like 1

I've heard, from the voice of my own teachers, that the languages are some of the courses with the least effort and difficulty fluctuation from standard to higher level. For instance, English is my second language and I just got a 7 on my Further Oral Activity (29/30) and I got a (28/30) for my Individual Oral Presentation in Spanish (my main language). Both of then in higher level. And my favorite courses are actually the sciences :) Don't worry, you'll be fine.

Your teacher selects the books from the Prescribed list of authors given by the IB. If you know the teacher, though, you can always send him/her an e-mail inquiring about the novels. Mine told me and I read one of the books beforehand.

• 2 weeks later...

I felt that English lit HL was too hard for me, so I dropped it to SL. It was a lot harder then the English in pre-IB (more lang&lit), which I did not really think about. Even SL is hard and you have to read a lot books/texts, especially if you are not a native speaker in English. So I would generally say: Yes, HL is difficult and you need a general interest in novels and discussion (about novels). The book list we got for HL English was:

Persepolis
To live
A Doll's house
Emily Dickinson -20 poems
The Bluest Eye
Othello
Oranges are not the only fruit (reading right now)
The Great Gatsby
The God of small things
Master Harold and the Boys
Disgrace
and You Can't get lost in cape town.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am in the same boat as you, i have to take HL for English language and literature and iam really struggling with it. i am in year 11 and do my finals in NOV 2014. I am just hoping to improve as the year goes. My difficulty is iwith writing essay sentence structure and understanding deeper meaning of the story.

If you any can help me i am willing to learn.

We have covered these books Fly away peter, The great Gatsby and Street car named desire.

SOPHMX3211 - You said you can help - Can you please let me know what i should be concentrating on.

Thanks

meena

So, it is safe to say from all the previous posts that it is an entirely subjective experience. It is. " hard" or "easy" relative to your previous experience (in pre-IB, for instance, or in MYP), abilities, motivation, etc.

There is no objective way to establish how hard or easy the course will be. It is obvious though that there will be more demands at HL than at SL , and if you don't enjoy reading or writing or thinking about literature, then these will feel more than just marginal differences.

• Like 2

In English Hl

You have to study 4 works instead of 3 works in SL.

You will have 2 poems instead of 1 in SL

You will have additional essays

IOC will be of 20 minutes (10 minutes for analyzing drama and another 10 minutes for analyzing essays. SL will have only 10 minutes of IOC.

Difficulty of the external papers will be almost same. You will just get half an hour extra.

Overall easily manageable.

Yes, the differences may look inconsequential, (one book more here and there), certainly compared to the old A1 and A2 programmes, but do take note of the differences in the marking criteria. More is expected of you at HL.

If you are studying English HL Language A: Lit. then ...

-Writing a comparative commentary for Part 1 is often considered much more challenging than writing a commentary on a single text.

-Consider what is required for the IOC, both in terms of demands and works. If you are comfortable with poetry, then that will be an advantage.

It's all in the details...

If Lang-Lit, then perhaps the differences are a little less obvious--at first, anyway.

Edited by Blackcurrant