Math IA Exploration

barrythrasher

Hi all,

I've hit a brick wall with my SL Math's exploration - the type of thing that annoys the heck out of me because I'm not sure where to turn to and my school hasn't started yet.

I chose to investigate the probability of experiencing a rolling blackout in Jakarta, Indonesia in any of the 5 given city provinces (venn diagrams). I also try and hypothesize why this may be the case by postulating a relationship between more probable areas with province population size.

Could I be doing more with this topic, in terms of more ways to interpret/analyze with probability or statistics? My math teacher moved schools and I don't know who my new teacher will be, so I really have no where to turn to for guidance. Any help at this point would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks for giving it the light of day!

First, nice pun! 'light of day', 'blackout' yeah anyway...

Second, for SL maths you don't need to do an exploration!

You have to do a 'portfolio' which contains two tasks 'type I' and 'type II.' The topics and instructions for these tasks are given to us by the IB....unless the course has changed for 2014, in which case, ignore me and go with what the subject guide says.

No Khimberleign you're completely right! Adrianna are you doing Math studies or Math SL? Because if you are doing SL, you do not need to come up with your own topic!

You have to do a 'portfolio' which contains two tasks 'type I' and 'type II.' The topics and instructions for these tasks are given to us by the IB....unless the course has changed for 2014, in which case, ignore me and go with what the subject guide says.

No Khimberleign you're completely right! Adrianna are you doing Math studies or Math SL? Because if you are doing SL, you do not need to come up with your own topic!

Actually, the syllabus has changed for 2014 and I believe that all courses now need to do an investigation similar to the math studies one before the syllabus change

In terms of the actual project, I recommend flicking through your textbook and seeing what you could include. Also look at past studies projects, it may give you inspiration :) I'm not too sure what you learn in the standard course so i can't suggest specific things that I did (like Chi-squared) because i don't think you do it. But do look at some past projects because it may help you out

Edited by The Rainbow Connection