IB Online Courses? Are they Risky?

beginner23anan

I'm currently doing Pre-IB in an IB school in New Zealand. The school doesn't teach Psychology so the only available way for me to take it is through online courses, for example, Panjora.

I am currently borrowing the Psychology Textbook from school library and is digging into it for about 30 minutes everyday. I'm researching all the available online study notes also and is absorbing some Psychology on my own. However, many of my seniors tell me that online Psychology HL courses can be very challenging and rough. You might get bored, feel lonely or not enough help and so on. Should I listen to them and deignite my Psychology pursuit? Or should I take the risk? Since I'm having the materials right now and there's a bunch of help online, I don't think I cannot make it though.

It definitely seems like a risk since you won't have a teacher to advise you, but if it's something you're passionate about, go for it! ^_^ The main thing is to remember that IB psychology is much different than some other psychology classes in its subject matter, so make sure you're studying IB-appropriate material. Psych HL is a rigorous class, I've heard, so I hope you understand what you're getting into!

There are quite a few students at my school who are taking psychology online. I do think it has been difficult for them as it tended to get left behind from there other subjects, and its always a great struggle for them to sit down and do the work. If you are committed and also really enjoy psychology then I'd say do it! Also another point to take into consideration, it seems that the online courses require a lot more "busy work" than normal classes we take at school, but if you are ready for that then I'd say you should do it.