EE in French B - Languages and social dynamics of Québec - Topic refinement

pattrickk

Hello everyone / bonjour à tous,

I'm currently working on my EE and have come to a roadblock while refining my question. I've been doing research on the society and politics of Québec for a while, and have incorporated this into many of my independent projects for French B.

Originally, I was planning on doing a study of the motto, « Je me souviens » and how it relates to the provincial identity; however, after beginning my research, I found that this was too narrow of a topic without much research, and thus needed to branch out. So I've really just been reading all my original sources, which give an overview of the status of French in Québec as well as other themes such as the presence of linguistic minorities in Québec, the evolution of the identity of Québecois anglophones, and so on.

For the moment my question is:

Examinez le rôle du français comme langue commune de la société multiculturelle du Québec.

In English: Examine the role of French as the common language of the multicultural society of Québec.

However, I feel as if this isn't narrow enough as it concerns a very broad topic.

Ideally, I would like to do something about Loi 101 (the law which makes French the official language of the province), but at the same time this was (ironically) the focus of the example question for French B, and I can't copy that.

At this point, I just feel like I know all the information to write my EE and have an idea of what direction to go in, but am unable to fine tune it. If anyone could give me some advice and/or tell me what you think of my question, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Perhaps instead of focusing on just "je me souviens," are there other mottos or slogans that appear on things in Quebec that you could analyze as well? It would allow you to keep your EE kind of along the same lines as your original topic, but gives you some other things to analyze. You're right that you can't focus on Loi 101, it's already in the EE guide so copying it is a big no.

Thank you for your responses.

Emmi---That's a great idea; now that you mention it I think I'm going to look into some slogans used in advertising. Additionally, I might be able to make a comparison between the presentation of French in French and Québécois advertisements, and use the stricter regulations in Québec as support. Thank you again, I think this has gotten me thinking and on the right track.

Cjy---Thanks for your grammar checking. As I understand it, both are correct and I've seen omissions like this used for emphasis. Although the inclusion of a definite article would be more common, I'm choosing to exclude it for style. But thanks for the suggestion!

Hey, en effet ton sujet est un peu trop "broad" et ou est ce que tu vas trouver une reponse?

Unless in the A1 forum or in the Group 2 languages forum where the thread has specifically specified the language is not English, all forum posts must be in English or you must provide a translation of your post. Just a heads up :)

Is there not one particular or peculiar aspect of French, as used by any one -or two, for comparison -of these groups, that you could develop? Something documented or discussed in the media? Easily available, in other words...

Or how about researching the role of "joual" as used by some French Canadian singers, as a form of resistance or assertion of identity (at a particular time of fr. Canadian history, to narrow it further)?

Edited by Blackcurrant