Hi guys

These are my current IB courses:

Physics HL

Lang/Lit HL

Business & Management HL

Chemistry SL

French B SL

Math SL

What should I do with my life? My parents are asking me to study medicing, but I'm assuming that I need to take Bio for that? school just started so i can still change my courses with ease. SHould I change Chem to Bio? I am not changing Physics because I really like it.

And also, should I change my French to Spanish ab initio so it won't pull me down? (I HATE FRENCH)

Any other tips and tricks to help me survive IB?

THANKS GUYS! I appreciate any help or comments :D

Guest B.E.P.

Hi guys

These are my current IB courses:

Physics HL

Lang/Lit HL

Business & Management HL

Chemistry SL

French B SL

Math SL

What should I do with my life? My parents are asking me to study medicing, but I'm assuming that I need to take Bio for that? school just started so i can still change my courses with ease. SHould I change Chem to Bio? I am not changing Physics because I really like it.

And also, should I change my French to Spanish ab initio so it won't pull me down? (I HATE FRENCH)

Any other tips and tricks to help me survive IB?

THANKS GUYS! I appreciate any help or comments :D

If you'll study Medicine, you need Biology and Chemistry. I think both of them need to be at the HL, but I might be mistaken (although at least one of them would need to be higher level for sure). However, I think you should study subject that you want to study. Trust me, the worst mistake you can commit in IB is taking a subject you are not enthusiastic about, which will just be a burden to study over the next two years.

With that in mind, since you hate French, I strongly suggest you take Spanish ab initio SL.

In regards to your Chem vs Bio question - it completely depends on the country.

In Australia, Biology isn't necessary if you want to do Medicine but Chem is. However, if you're much better at Bio then you should do that, get high marks and then just do an intensive bridging course or something :)

Also with French SL vs Spanish ab initio, I have friends who do both subjects and I have friends who dropped French B for Spanish ab initio... it all depends on you but yes, IB French does get intense at times.

I think it all depends on the orals - which would you do better in in terms of orals, French or Spanish?

Tricks to survive the IB:

- If you hate a subject and it's possible to change/drop down a level (eg from HL to SL) then DO SO ASAP!

- Don't procrastinate

- Focus in TOK, it'll come in handy later :P

If you don't want to study medicine,I recommend to to tell your parents. It can be an intense carrier to follow. On the other hands, if you do want to go for it, you will definitely need chemistry HL and at least Bio SL (although HL would be better). For the IB itself,I recommend you that if you see a week of a huge workload coming up, do not try to leave everything for the last day! It will only a generate a load of bad quality work and high levels of stress. Cover all your CAS hours with something you might find refreshing after a day of work, it helps a lot.

Try to get info about your extended essay from the start, so that when you get to when you start dealing with it you are not lost. And about this, do it I something you will enjoy. If not, it will be a stressful and incredibly important essay to deal with.

Honestly, if you want to do medicine of if you want to keep that possibility alive do NOT drop chemistry because for many universities chem is a prerequisite whereas biology is not. also, if you do not like french then yes definitely do Spanish instead but remember both languages require work!