What are my possibilities with Portuguese, Bio and German B HL?

Lucas Mokwa

I have Bio, Portuguese A and German B as HL subjects because this is the first IB group in my school, and we can't choose the subjects. So, I want to know what are my possibilities if I want to study Architecture in Germany, UK or USA.

ETH Zürich, Architectural Association, Pratt Institute, University of California and others would be dream universities....

Usually, it's a good idea for architecture students to choose HL maths, but since you can't choose your subjects...ah well.

I know nothing about requirements for Germany or the UK, but in the US it shouldn't matter TOO much. Depending on how good your grades are, how high your SAT/ACT test scores are, and how well your essay is written, you should have a chance. I would check the University of California's website to check for their requirements for acceptance and for different fields.

Best of luck!

ETH Zürich is in Switzerland (Zurich), not Germany.

Anyway:
Admission without entrance exam if the following requirements are fullfilled:

• 38 out of 42 points (without bonus points);
  • a) mathematics, b) one of the following: physics, chemistry or biology and c) 1 language A at Higher Level (HL);
  • 3 additional subjects at Standard Level (SL) of the following: physics, natural sciences, geography, history, economics, 1 language only, geometry, computer science.

Otherwise: Reduced Entrance Exam ETHZ

So, it would also depend on your SL subjects. But without Maths at HL it's going to be difficult for you to get into ETH Zürich or other universities. I'd check the requirements of different universities and see whether they would accept you with your subjects.

Edited by Absolutely Positively
  • Like 1

Go on the websites of places you are interested in applying to and it will give you the requirements. e.g.

http://www.aaschool.ac.uk/APPLY/ADMISSIONS/undergradApp.php

Maths and Art are often expected subjects but you'll have to look around to try and find places which might accept you without those two. Regardless, you'll almost certainly need a portfolio.

• Like 1